1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fried MotherBoard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pedgies, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Pedgies

Pedgies Thread Starter

My PC was struck by lightening several weeks ago. When I try to boot it will power up and then die. However, I can boot to the a: prompt with boot disk and to the cd rom. But I can not boot to the OS. I am running Windows XP.

I think I fried my mother board. I have run a chkdsk and a scan disk on drive C: it appears to be fine. I have tried reinstalling windows. I am able to do this to a point. When it needs to reboot it will not. Monitor shuts off.

Sorry now to my question. Can I put the HDD into another computer. I tried putting the cd rom into another pc and it fried the mother board. I am hesitant to put this drive on my pc.

I am currently using an antique. Intel Pentium processor, 64 mg of ram, and 4 G of HDD. So you see why I would want to salvage the hdd. That and no budget for a new one.

Any help will be appreciated.

Pedgies :confused:

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Have you fdisked and reformatted the drive before you attempted to reinstall windows? I recently had a drive with a bad boot sector, for some reson the windows install didn't replace it, I had to fdisk the drive, delete the old partitions, then repartition it first before it would work.

3. Firah

Firah

If possible, swap out the Power Supply with a known good one.

How could the CD-Drive damage the Motherboard?

4. Pedgies

Pedgies Thread Starter

Yes I have tried that. Fdisk and partition went fine. Started loading OS and then it gets to the point where it needs to reboot it crashes again.

5. Pedgies

Pedgies Thread Starter

I am not sure. The guy at the pc shop said that it could have been electrically charged from the lightening. Hey I am new at this. He may be nuts.

I am trying to load xp back. I am beginning to believe that it is a problem with the monitor connection. I know it is not the monitor itself because I swayed it out. However, my cpu is still running and the monitor went into DPMS standby mode. I think it is still loading xp. Lights are still running.

I have a step by step print screen that I am looking at to make sure I enter the info I need to continue loading xp in the dark.

Is there a way to get this monitor out of standby mode?

6. n2gun

n2gun

You problem could very well be the video card. Does not sound like MB to me. If you can try a different video card. Also try the monitor on another computer. It may have been damaged by lightening and just now went on you.

7. Pedgies

Pedgies Thread Starter

I put a new video card in. Bingo Thanks for all your help

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice