fried?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deeger

I recently installed a new video card for a friend, I put the card in, installed the drivers, then rebooted the PC and....nothing, no beeps at start up, does this mean the board is fried, or is there something else that may be wrong?

Any help would be great... thanks in advance.

deeger

mrbrownstone said:
Try putting another graphics card in and seeing what happens.
I took the new card out and installed the old one....same problem.

Did you do the step of removing the OLD drivers before installing the new card? If you're swapping IDENTICAL cards, this is not necessary; but if it's a new card, you have to do that.

deeger

8dalejr.fan said:
Did you do the step of removing the OLD drivers before installing the new card? If you're swapping IDENTICAL cards, this is not necessary; but if it's a new card, you have to do that.
so did that fry the board then...how do i uninstall the old drivers if the machine wont boot up now?

dustyjay

Jay
No the wrong drivers wont fry the motherboard. I would open it back up and take a look to see if you maybe dislodged the power connector to the motherboard. There is also a chance that you did not properly protect yourself against A static Electric discharge that COULD have fried something while you were inside the computer.

deeger

dustyjay said:
No the wrong drivers wont fry the motherboard. I would open it back up and take a look to see if you maybe dislodged the power connector to the motherboard. There is also a chance that you did not properly protect yourself against A static Electric discharge that COULD have fried something while you were inside the computer.
i have a wrist band, so its not from the static electric discharge
plus the lights are coming on the board so, its not a power issue
thanks for the reply

dustyjay

Jay
Try resetting the bios to defaults by either moving the CMOS Reset jumper or Removing the cmos battery for about 20 - 30 minutes.

deeger said:
i have a wrist band, so its not from the static electric discharge
plus the lights are coming on the board so, its not a power issue
thanks for the reply
even though you had one, did you actually wear it at the time? (i know it's obvious, but it happens to the best of us:eek: ) and did you hook it up properly? also, have you checked the power cable from the wall (and any connectors inside the PC). again, loose cables happens to the best of us:eek:

deeger

obvious said:
even though you had one, did you actually wear it at the time? (i know it's obvious, but it happens to the best of us:eek: ) and did you hook it up properly? also, have you checked the power cable from the wall (and any connectors inside the PC). again, loose cables happens to the best of us:eek:
lights are coming on the board
that means its getting power..right?

deeger

I got it to boot up, its weird, sometimes it boots sometimes it wont...

im looking for the right driver for the graphics card, because it wont install, ahhhh this PC is ____!

thanks for the replys ppl!

You might try a new power supply with more power. It may be that the new graphics board needed more power caused your existing supply to fail. Also, lights on the system board dont mean that the power supply is running correctly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online