Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend having trouble connecting to my game server

545 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SilverlightPony 
#1 ·
So I'm running a private server thing for Mass Effect 3 on my own desktop PC. Two other people have tried connecting so far: One of my roommates, via our LAN; and my friend Liam, over the internet.

My roommate was having trouble at first, but we eventually got that sorted out and now he can connect with no problem.

After we ran him through the setup and tweaked a few things, Liam was able to get a basic connection to the server, but when searching for available lobbies to join (of which there was exactly one, since this is a private server), his game was never able to find it, and would just sit there searching forever.

When the server program (henceforth "PSE") first starts up, its status window shows at least some of the ports it's listening on (although it doesn't specify whether it's using TCP or UDP for them), and I've set up and confirmed port forwarding in my own router for those ports on both protocols.

I'm not sure if Liam needs to have those ports forwarded as well, and here's where things get sticky: Due to the layout of his house and the location of the main gateway router, his computer is behind a second router as well. Here's the layout of the network his comp has to communicate through:

Cloud/ISP > R1 WAN port
R1 LAN port > R2 LAN port
R2 LAN port > PC

...where R1 is the main router/gateway (an Arris Surfboard cable modem/router combo), and R2 is the second router up in his room (a Buffalo router running DD-WRT firmware). R2's WAN port is not used, and R2 is set up as a DHCP forwarder rather than a DHCP server. All devices on the network are in the same subnet.

We've tried setting up port forwarding on R1, but when checked, the ports were still reported as closed.

We considered trying to use Tunngle, but the Tunngle client reported that it was unable to establish a VPN connection between either me or my roommate and Liam's client. Tunngle's support info for this problem suggests setting up port forwarding, which brings us back to the same issue—ports are forwarded on R1, but testing still shows the port as closed.

All three PCs have their firewalls disabled.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
R1 LAN port > R2 LAN port -- perhaps a conflict here? What is the IP range on both routers? Does he have the same network scheme? (i.e. 192.168.0.x)

Edit: i just saw that you have an Arris modem.. one of the worse that I had to work with. What is the model number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.