Solved Friend needs a laptop just for word processing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kerawl

Keith
I have a friend who will be in a hospital for a while and he wants to write articles for his blog. Where he is, the internet is not working and there's no wifi. But anyway all he needs is a laptop that will have a Word or text program so he can write with it. There should be no downloading required to set it up, or for programs and apps on a machine he buys. A trackpad and a regular USB port would be needed too. The laptop should be all ready to go without any set up needed or downloading, since there will be no internet. What should I be looking for? Thanks!

Couriant

James
any low end should suffice, but Word is not free (unless you use the free online option) but you can use WordPad / notepad for basic text documents... the latter does not have any kind of formatting.

kerawl

Keith
Thanks, James. I think WordPad would work perfectly for him.
Sorry, define what would be a low-end laptop

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Or, Libre Office. You can save documents in Word format if need be ...

If you're sure he's not going to be doing anything beyond what you describe, of of the $2-300 laptops you find at places like Walmart should suffice. An entry level HP, etc. with 4-8GB RAM and a 32-64GB eMMC on-board storage, comparable to a HDD, functionality-wise).

Watch out for Chromebooks. They almost invariably need to be connected to the Internet to work. They may have their place, but I don't think this is it ...

Couriant

James
Oh that's right, LibreOffice or OpenOffice would be for more formatting options.

Hmm I would probably stay away from the ones that has 64GB or less eMMC though. By a second Windows update, the drive would be close to full (at least from what I have seen). If you do go this route, you will probably need additional storage (SD card) to increase the storage. IMO they were not really built well in terms of storage and I think they are basically the equivalent to ChromeBook, designed to be online and using online services/storage like OneDrive.

kerawl

Keith
Thank you James. I was originally wanting to buy a laptop that was already set up because I was going to have it sent directly from the seller to my friend in the hospital (which does not have the internet). But now, I've decided to have it sent directly to me, so I can set it up using my internet, then I will send the laptop to my friend in the hospital. That should work, I think.

kerawl

Keith
Thanks everyone. Great advice & info. I'm putting this one as Solved.

cwwozniak

Chuck
write articles for his blog.
Does your friend wish to update his blogs while in the hospital? He would need an Internet connection for that or put the new information on a USB flash drive to give to someone with an Internet connection to do the updates?

If they wish to do the live updates themselves, do they own a smartphone? Some phones and cellular service providers allow the user to tether their computer to the phone through a WiFi or a USB connection and use the phone's data service for the Internet connection.

kerawl

Keith
Thanks Chuck. Since he has no internet where he his, he would indeed write his blog on his laptop and put it on a USB key and then give that to me to take home and post it to his blog using my own home internet. And he doesn't have a smartphone. He has an Alcatel Go Flip phone. And anyway, he's very un-tech-savvy. He needs things to be very simple.

I'm happy to report that at the hospital he now has his old laptop. Another friend got it from his apartment for him. He's working fine with that, for now.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Thank you for the reply after marking this as Solved. I just wanted to make sure how they planned to update the actual blog pages.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!