1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Friends computer intrusted to fix is worse now

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by terrano, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terrano

terrano Thread Starter

Problem now Solved

Friends HP Pavilion running windows XP original problems were card reader was not working and no sound from speakers. When went to take hard drive home we were short on time and didn't shut it down just pulled power supply out from the back, said it would be right to do as done it over the years lots on mine and never missed a beat.
    When got it home to power it up it came up with To Reboot properly or install CD.

The boot priority in the Bios goes CD - HDD - Network - Floppy

But it shoes the CD is the only one installed

Have done all the usual hitting of F1 F2 F8 F10 F12

Can enter set up but no improvements are made, help please , he needs his computer by the end of the day ?

Thanks

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

I am sorry if I am being slow, but why would you take a HDD OUT of a computer on which you were trying to fix a sound problem when it needs to be in the computer with the sound problem to fix it. This is despite the stupid method of removing the HDD. If that sounds a little abrasive, if you are entrusted to fix a problem - then you should know that stopping a HDD by simply unplugging the power is one of the quickest ways to corrupt the data.
    Is the BIOS we are talking about NOT showing the drive on the computer it is in now OR is it back in the one it was in. OR have I completely misunderstood and you took the whole computer home and not just the HDD
    If it is now in another computer is it SLAVED to another drive carrying a working O/S for the computer it is in. Is it an IDE or SATA drive

3. terrano

terrano Thread Starter

Sorry for not being clear by not using the correct terminology - took the whole desktop home. Nature of circumstances not shutting it down properly.

4. Macboatmaster

Do you have the XP CD either for this computer OR an XP of the same ie: Home Professional etc.
    Also as it is not shown in the BIOS setup, check that during the moving and journey home the HDD ribbon cable or SATA cable or SATA power especially if it is SATA has not become dislodged. It is highly unlikely if it is a Molex type power connection that this has come adrift the favourites are SATA or the ribbon to the HDD or motherboard

5. terrano

terrano Thread Starter

Thank you Macboatmaster, have no CD's for this computer, my desktop is running XP but looks like a different edition. The computer with the fault has no floppy drive to attempt to make up a restore floppy off my desktop.

I can check for loose cables in an hour and will report back.

Cheers :)

6. terrano

terrano Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much for sharing your knowledge - computer up and running again now, problem was the molex cable from the power supply was completely off - phew what a relief. You have made my day - "Have a cracker" Cheers

7. Macboatmaster

Pleased it was fixed and thanks for taking the touble to post result.
    Please mark thread solved

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice