1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Friends computer using Remote Assistance

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by puter hater, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. puter hater

puter hater Thread Starter

Last night a friend and I were to tying to access each others computer using Remote Assistance through window messenger . When I invited her she was able to accept and see my computer. We would log out and then she would invite me I would accept but I was unable to log into her computer. It would not connect. We turned off the firewall that did not work. Turned of the virus protection that didn't work. Check for file sharing in the firewall all was checked ..........So long story short she can connect to me. But I can't to her. Is there something else I need her to look for that is stopping me from connecting.

Thank you in advance..
    Debra

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you use the correct PASSWORD?

Also her "ROUTER" may be blocking.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Using Remote Assistance through Windows Messenger invitations does not involve a password and will open the appropriate path though the router. However, she could have a non-Windows firewall (security suite) on her PC that is blocking access. If so, she needs to configure it to allow Remote Assistance or open the appropriate port(s).

Another thing I have found is that if she has dial-up internet her upload speed may be too slow and your computer times out, thinking that she is not responding. If this is the case she should change her screen color quality to the lowest possible setting; and probably the lowest resolution.

4. puter hater

She uses the same antivirus as I AVG and we turned if off to see if that was a issue. Which it was not.

She uses cable for interent with no other routers. SO I dont think sppeed is a issue.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It could be her Windows firewall also. In Control Panel - Windows Firewall - Exceptions tab is 'Remote Assistance' checked?

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

My own experience is that even with fast connection at both ends it sometimes takes a few tries to connect ( though I'm often trying to connect to people who dont realise that having a mass of downloads runming hampers the connection somewhat!) . Sometimes even on a 'clean' connection it takes a few attempts .

7. puter hater

Terrynet- yes it is checked

We tried about 6 times. Will give it another shot today. New day ...new trys....

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have any other ideas. For the record, I still think that she has "a non-Windows firewall (security suite) on her PC that is blocking access."

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!