1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frigidaire Coil Stove

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by OtisBee, Feb 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OtisBee

OtisBee Thread Starter

Hi,

Edit: It's a Frigidaire oven and is 17 years old.

All 4 of our stove top elements are intermittently working or only getting lukewarm. When we bought the place (about 16 months ago) everything worked fine but they have been acting up. At first I bought a couple new elements and that fixed the problem for about a month before the new elements started acting up again.

I'm looking for help at the possible causes for this. I'm just not sure of all the things I can look at which may be able to cause this issue. Our oven works just fine as far as I can tell.

So... it could be the contacts in the block, what the elements plug into. Though it seems odd that all four would be failing within the same small period of time.

Perhaps all the switches are failing?

The fact that all four are exhibiting the same issues makes me think the problem lies elsewhere but I'm not sure where. So far googling hasn't helped and I'd love to not hire a repairman or replace the stove.

Any tips?

Thank you

2. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Hello OtisBee! Welcome to the Tech Support Guy forum!

Ok... reading your post it sounds like you have some feel for troubleshooting and such. So if that's not the case, please let us know. We don't want to bore you with basic stuff; but more importantly, we don't want people digging into stuff that's above their expertise level.

The first thing I would do is unplug the heating elements and check the resistance on the elements. That way you know they are fine.

Next area I would focus on is the dial temperature knobs. I would make sure they are turning correctly. I am not familiar with Frigidaire. But many of those knobs use the old three wire coil approach to varying the voltage to the heating element. They could be dirty or otherwise not working properly.

3. OtisBee

OtisBee Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for the response. I fix electronics for a living so am used to troubleshooting but don't know anything about stoves. I will check the elements and also have a closer look at the knobs. About 10 minutes ago I spoke to a coop student in another department who just so happened to be an appliance repairman in a previous life... Based on my description he was fairly positive it's the blocks and/or wires that the elements plug into even though there all going at the same time.

Anyway, I feel confident with the 3 things to look more closely at: 1) elements, 2) blocks, 3) temp knobs.

I'll start with those and see what I can figure.

Thanks again!

Drabdr likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice