From FATS to NTFS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alexander P

My "C" Drive is NTFS, but when i do a backup, i am informed that my external hard drive "E" is FATS. When i click on RUN cmd and enter convert E: /FS:NTFS it then asks me for the volume label. Where do i find this information, without which i cannot proceed?:eek: :confused: Thanks to anyone out there who can help!!!!!!

The label is the name that you reserved or entered for that patition or drive.
For instance: DATA. You give it a label as you like

bernardus

bonk

Banned
Welcome,

Have you given the external drive a Name like backup or something?

Alexander P

I just don't know what to enter, as every time i do it says the wrong label has been entered, any suggestions as to what i should type in for volume label info?

The volume label is just the name that you or someone else chose for the drive. It is the name of the drive in My Computer. If it has no assigned name, try leaving the box blank or type "None".

As far as I can remember you can give it any name. As long as you select the proper drive.
But since you can read the drive you can read in explorer wht the label is. That label is all you need nothing mysterious. If you only convert and will save data? If you want to format the partition you may do what you wish. If in doubt, copy the info to another drive and format the partition, give it a name and restore the info later. Peace of cake.

bernardus

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online