1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

From FATS to NTFS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexander P, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alexander P

Alexander P Thread Starter

My "C" Drive is NTFS, but when i do a backup, i am informed that my external hard drive "E" is FATS. When i click on RUN cmd and enter convert E: /FS:NTFS it then asks me for the volume label. Where do i find this information, without which i cannot proceed?:eek: :confused: Thanks to anyone out there who can help!!!!!!

2. bernardus

bernardus

The label is the name that you reserved or entered for that patition or drive.
    For instance: DATA. You give it a label as you like

bernardus

3. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

Have you given the external drive a Name like backup or something?

4. Alexander P

I just don't know what to enter, as every time i do it says the wrong label has been entered, any suggestions as to what i should type in for volume label info?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

The volume label is just the name that you or someone else chose for the drive. It is the name of the drive in My Computer. If it has no assigned name, try leaving the box blank or type "None".

6. Alexander P

O.K Bernardus i will try that, thankyou!

7. Alexander P

Thanking you all, beginning to comprehend where you're coming from!

8. bernardus

bernardus

As far as I can remember you can give it any name. As long as you select the proper drive.
    But since you can read the drive you can read in explorer wht the label is. That label is all you need nothing mysterious. If you only convert and will save data? If you want to format the partition you may do what you wish. If in doubt, copy the info to another drive and format the partition, give it a name and restore the info later. Peace of cake.

bernardus

9. bernardus

bernardus

You're Welcome
    bernardus

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice