1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

From Norton to No Working PC :(

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Suleeto, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suleeto

Suleeto Thread Starter

Hello, all. I was running XP Pro 2002 for the longest time. I would get hit by the occasional spyware, but Ad-Aware killed the few that slipped by Black Ice Defender.

Then I set something up wrong in Black Ice and had to uninstall it, after three years of smooth operation. Black Ice wouldn't let me reinstall, it wanted me to repurchase (bastid's!). I got a virus/spyware/whatever that deleted all my System Restore points, and that was that.

I broke down and purchased Norton's antivirus and 2-year plan for $60. Downloaded it from their site. Installed it.

It automatically installed a bunch of Windows updates (I think it tried to put in SP2, on an OS that wasn't even SP1). My system has never been the same again. Norton will not complete a full system scan ever, it crashes as it approaches 60,000 scanned items. What is more, I literally got hit by a virus while norton was supposedly running. This virus changes the system font to (I think) Wingdings, and then deletes all your fonts in the fonts folder. What is more, it messed with IE at some point, and now whenever you click a link that spawns a popup or new window (or just hit CRTL-N), it freezes the IE window. You have to then click the IE icon again and get a new one. A view of Task Manager shows IEXPLORE.EXE a bunch of times (as many as you tried to spawn a new window). You can close them via Task manager (End Process).

I think I have a messed up version of XP Pro that is somewhere between 2002 and SP2, along with a virus. Norton and AGV both find viruses, including one called Proxy.GBN. Up until today, I was managing ok, it would interfere with the internet connection (periodically taking it down and back up again), which was annoying but livable, but today, I can no longer connect to the internet at all. The adapter says it finds the wireless network, good signal, I see packets sending out mostly, but I can't get web, messengers, or anything at all.

NOW....

I have an SP1 disk, and I was going to install this from BOOT, but when I boot the PC up with it, it starts with, "Setup is detecting your hardware" or something like that. After awhile, it bluescreens and reboots in a split second.

???

I want to just reinstall windows (and it won't let me!), unless someone can alternatively help me figure out how to see the internet cloud again. It won't let me! I cant get on the net anymore either. Help!

-JA

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window under Internet & Networking in Security for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply and copy and paste the link in the address bar back to the original thread you were in.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you are able to boot from the CD, I suggest that you format the hard drive to rid of all the junk before installing Windows.

After you install, get internet access and then get all the Windows critical updates, including SP2. Then, depending on your surfing habits, maybe you won't collect as much malware.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice