1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

From XP to Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dfwcat, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dfwcat

dfwcat Thread Starter

I want to change my OS from XP to Win 7, mainly because I can by it cheap then upgrade, but what are some of the key words to look for if I'm buying online? Words like OEM, refurbished, upgrade, and other such descriptions I've seen. It's a little confusing.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Before you upgrade your computer from Windows XP to Windows 7, you need to make sure it has enough "horsepower" and has driver support for Windows 7.
    If your computer is a factory-brand one, advise what brand name and model name and model number it is.
    If your computer is a self-built one, advise what brand name and model number its motherboard is.

If you're not aware of it, you can buy a good refurbished computer for $200 - $300 that comes with Windows 7.
    Depending on how old and slow your current computer is, that may be a better option for you.
    A legitimate "Retail" or "OEM System Builder" copy of Windows 7 will cost you over $100.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. dfwcat

dfwcat Thread Starter

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 780 with Intel Core Duo and 3 G ram. The PC is a corporate surplus unit that came from Dell with Win 7 on it, but due to some older software that was designed for XP, Win 7 was removed and XP put in it's place. So, the PC is plenty strong enough for 7.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I currently have 3 refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780 minitowers which came with Windows 7 64-bit.
    Mine came with an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz processor and 8 GB of DDR3-1066 RAM.
    Here is the very reliable company that I purchased them from.

Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit will install and run just fine in yours.
    I actually ran Windows 10 64-bit in one of them for a few months.

Before you start the setup and install process, make sure to download and save the chipset, graphics, audio, and ethernet drivers for it.
    They'll need to be installed afterwards.

If you can advise what the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" is on yours, I can direct you to its support and driver downloads site.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  5. dfwcat

dfwcat Thread Starter

Currently, all I have is the PC. I'll need to connect all peripherals from the unit it's going to replace before I can find that information. I also need to the time to do it. I'll do it because drivers are important. Thanks for the help.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Please re-read post #4 because I've been editing and adding to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1169893

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice