1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front and side intake fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pcdoctor, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I was told by another source that if your computer case has two front intake fan and then has a big 200 millimeter intake fan on the side of the case that it can cause interference with cooling?

I am wanting to build a computer at some point this year and I was thinking about going with the Corsair carbide series 500R case. But then another source told me with two front intake fans in the big 200 millimeter intake fan on the side the air flow isn't that great? Please let me know of your thoughts.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

IMO exhaust fans are more important than intake fans. Nature abhors a vacuum so if you extract air from the case, air does flow into the case via inlets, vents, etc.

Airflow should be as follows; cool or inlet air from the lower front of the case and hot or exhaust air exiting from the top/rear of the case. Just as important as fans, is the task of building a "clean" computer where you do not have a "rats nest" of wires, cables, etc running all over. A clean interior facilitates good airflow.

Just because a case has two intake fans does not mean you have to connect both of them. I have a large "gamer" type case for my linux server. It comes with two 120mm fans in the front. I only connect one of them and one exhaust fan.
    Personally I really dislike systems with lots of noisy fans. A computer should be close to silent; not sound like a hair dryer.

3. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Alrighty then. Does anybody else have any thoughts about this?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Pretty much agree. That's a good case and if you have two powerful graphics cards then that side fan will help a bit. The advantage of the bigger fans is that they are quieter, way better than the old cases that came with 80mm fans that had to spin much faster to move more air. A clean and tidy case does wonders to overall cooling. Front to back air flow works the best, and having exhaust fans accomplishes this, front and side fans can improve this but only if needed with really end systems with lots of drives and more than one high end graphics card. It can also help with high overclocks where the extra airflow helps the CPU cooler dissipate a little more heat.

5. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Eventually I plan to do some serious video editing.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should still be fine with that case and the stock fans that come with it.

7. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Other cases I may consider going with are

1. Enermax Ostrog GT ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Acrylic See-Thru Side Panel ECA3280A-BL Black/Blue - The problem with this case is that it doesn't look like it has mounting for a solid state drive and you can't run the CPU connector from the power supply behind the motherboard to the CPU plug since the motherboard covers the hole. Not sure if the lights can be turned off or not.

2. Corsair Carbide Series 200R - I've seen this case in a lot of videos and it's similar to my Antec 300 case. The only thing I really don't like about that case is that there doesn't appear to be any vents in the front of the computer for the front intake fan(s) (can't remember if there's one or two intake fans.)

3. Thermaltake Commander G41/Black/Win/SECC Black SPCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (CA-1B4-00M1WN-00) - This case has a very nice window which I like, but a few things I don't like about this case are the fact that the blue LED light hardly puts out any light, not sure if there's only one or two front intake fans, the window gets scratched up easily and I've also read that the front USB ports often times don't work and need to be RMA'd for replacement ports that may or may not work.

I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on the cases I may want. I might shop around for others, but one thing it has to have is blue LED lit fans where I can turn the lights off and on. Not sure if the Thermaltake has that option either.

The computer will also be located in the loft area of an apartment which can get quite warm in the summer and in the winter if the heat is cranked up.

8. replay

replay

have used the corsair a few times.......great case and the front has side vents on each side for the front intake fan(s)

9. pcdoctor

pcdoctor Thread Starter

Do you mean the 200r?

10. replay

replay

yes....the case u linked

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice