1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front page extensions or ASP for forms

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by camraman2004, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. camraman2004

camraman2004 Thread Starter

Hi Folks
    Is it possible to mix and match web pages created in Front page and Dreamweaver? I generally use Dreamweaver to create my sites but I am wanting to put in a form to E Mail questions and suggestions and it seems easier to create it in FP than use ASP Scripting. My Web Host will accept FP extensions and ASP but not PHP. I do not need to keep a database of the answers to the Questions so it isn't necessary to have to "Save to File".

2. Rockn

Rockn

If the pages are using FP extension then DW generally doesn't know what to do with them. Email forms are realitively easy in ASP...look up CDONTS and also ask if your ISP allows you to use them with SMTP.

3. camraman2004

Thanks for the answer rockn. You really get around these forums, don't you ever sleep.
    I've done no coding of any type (except a bit of VB which totally lost me) and have looked at a prog called "forms to go" which created the script for you. My existing ISP is Wanadoo which never gives you anything extra at all so I doubt whether it has even heard of CDonts (I haven't). I have been given a site to build and some funding to buy a Domain name and host it on something better than a "Free" ISP so I was looking at 1&1 which says it can use FP ext and ASP. Do I need to change my ISP to 1&1 to be able to use these extras or can I stick with Wanadoo and simply point the new domain name at the Wanadoo Server. Sorry if this is basic stuff but they never tell you the interesting things on college courses.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Dump wanadoo and get a real ISP. There are plenty around and probably some really good ones in your local area. There are also ISP's just for developers so they can test their junk out on a live server. You could also host your own web server if you have XP Pro or Windows 2000 and all of the features would work.

5. camraman2004

When you say a proper ISP do you mean a "pay" one. If so I would normally agree but the "funding" for hosting will just about stretch to £6 per month which will just about pay for a simple hosting package. The Wanadoo ISP is already a 24/7 type and we are not due Broadband till next Jan when I will definitely be upgrading as it is only an extra £2 pm with Wanadoo or £4 with Pipex. I have looked at Pipex as a hoster to get all the things I need in the same company but they want £7.95pm as against 1 & 1 who only want £5. I know its not much of a difference but as a charity organisation every penny counts. This all seems a lot of hard work and complication to to be able to get an interactive form on a web site. My own server seems a great idea but I only have XP Home and the wife already insists that the electric bill has gone up since I started "playing" with the computer that having it on 24/7 is probably not an option!!

6. Rockn

Rockn

I forgot, England still has the crank type telephones...:) Most of the national ISP's are for the general masses that only want email and AOL candy coated crap and never do anything outside of that. You can host a web site anywhere you want, it does not have to be on your ISP. If you are a non-profit organization there are hosting services in the states that cost nothing or next to nothing if you qualify.

Sign up for the Non-profit tech talk list serve and you can post your hosting question there. The list goes out to thousands of individuals and there are some people locally that can point you in the right direction.

http://www.communityforum.net/mailman/listinfo/nonprofit_tech_talk

7. camraman2004

Crank telephones!!! We still have a problem getting the length of string between the two tin cans in a knot. :) Thanks for your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270503

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice