1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front Panel Audio Connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcivello, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Will someone recommend to me a front panel UBS. I want it so I can 1) have easy access to ports to record myself (playing fiddle and mandolin) 2) have easy access to convert tunes I have on tape to mp3's 3) have easy access to work w/ digital camera.

I hope it's okay to post such questions at this local. Please accept my apologies if this not the place to ask for recomendations.

Glenn

2. deuce

deuce

If you don't already have front panel USB you have a few options. If your mobo suppourts more than 2 USB... you can get a hub that goes into your open bays or 3 1/2". You can either have it hook into the mobo directly (if it supports it) or you can plug it into one of the USBs in the back. You can also get a small hub such as a 4 port (they have ones that are about 1/2" x 1") and plug that in the back and put on top of your case.

3. brianF

brianF

d link sells powered usb hubs, I have a four port and a 7 port on various computers here in the house.
    The unit attaches with one usb cord to the computer, the hub allows multiple connections, works pretty well.

You don't need a powered hub for two or maybe three devices, but after that the powered hub comes in handy to supplement the power to the devices

4. hewee

hewee

You can get front panel hubs like this here from http://cyberguys.com/ and other places.

You need to put the Item# in the search box to see it.

INTERNAL 4 PORT USB HUB KW-591, 3.5 BAY
    Item# 104 0469

5. stanggt2

stanggt2

6. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request. Actually I may have been using the wrong nomenclature. The links supplied are just USB hubs. What I want, is something that will bring my audio connections to the front as well. In fact this is the main thing I want to be able to do. I don't think these USB hubs will do that. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Glenn

7. brianF

brianF

usb won't do that, the only thing I know that does it an audigy sound card with a line drive. But that doesn't bring your normal speakers to the front.

Maybe someelse knows of something

I am going to change your thread to read front panel audio rather than usb

8. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Thanks Brian. Actually, I think I do need some USB ports but I also want audio connectons up-front. Btw, I don't mind if the speakers are hooked up to the back; that's not something I plug and unplug so it can remain plugged in back. What I want is 1) to be able to record myself (and other musicians) and to be able to play the recording(s) back 2) hook up a tape or CD player temporally to convert tapes and/or CD's to MP3's 3) to add (on occasion) a midi keyboard to play notes directly into software that will print it into music. (wouldn't that be a USB hookup?)

Again, I think I would need a couple of up-front USB ports as well. Wouldn't I need that to work with a digital camera? Like I said, I'm not computer savvy. I know what I want to do, but I don't know how to set up my computer to make things easy. My computer is inside of a desk compartment and I don't like having to drag it out to make hookups. That's why I want connections up-front. Thanks again.

Glenn

9. brianF

brianF

10. gcivello

gcivello Thread Starter

Hello Brian. Wow you are fast! Thanks for your quick response and also for supplying me the URLs. The Line Drive (1 & 2) is a great idea. I'm wondering if these audio features can also be used to connect to USB WebCam, USB Digital Camera, and a USB MP3 Player? Also, the price ($130.00) is a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Do you know anything about FrontX? I did a search on Google and found their site... I think this product may work. What do you think?

http://www.frontx.com

Thanks
    Glenn

EDITTED TO FIX LINK

11. brianF

brianF

Should work just fine as long as it has the ports you require.
    It's just extension cables bringing everything from the back to front.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice