1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved front panel connections

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a computer here I am upgrading. The case is old ATX (early 2000's I think) but everything fits ok. But the weird part is the front panel connectors. While they are standard and fit fine, when I had the power and HD lights set up according to the MB docs they wouldn't work. Case speaker, power, and reset buttons work fine, but not the lights.

At first I thought they weren't getting a good connection. The MB socket is in a odd spot and hard to get to with the case populated, not to mention the wires keep wanting to pull it back out of the socket. I hated to pull them back out as it took a long time to get the connectors to stay in the socket in the first place. In the end I did and I double checked the polarity (the back of the connectors has a little ^ which is standard). I did it right but they still wouldn't work. At one of those "pull your hair out" moments I flipped both the HD and case light connectors and reinserted them. When I finally got them to stay in the socket, to my surprise the lights now worked! Never saw a case that didn't have the ^ labeling the positive wire.

Now comes the question: should I reverse the speaker and switch (power and reset) connectors as well? They are working and I can't see why there would be a problem, but I thought I would ask here and double check.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You can leave the switch leads as they are, polarity doesn't matter for them.

The speaker leads can also be left if it's a 'real' speaker, if it's a buzzer type that isn't part of the case then the polarity does matter but with that old a case it's probably a real speaker.
    Basically if you hear a post beep then it's working !

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Whew! I figured it was ok, but I wanted to make sure. And yes it is real speaker mounted in the bottom and I do hear the the post beep.

So glad I don't have to pull those leads again, it was a real fight to get them to stay in the socket. I was VERY tempted to use glue at one point.

Thanks!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome.

Asus include a neat device for connecting those leads with their higher end motherboards called a Q Connector that makes the job really easy. You connect the leads to the Q-Connector then plug the Q-Connector into the motherboard. Great idea, should be included with all motherboards by law. ;)

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/tco_qr/pages/SuperiorDesign/Q-Connector.html

Just noticed that Gigabyte have a very similar device called G Connector, Patent Pending !

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice