1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front Panel Connector on Mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icehawk012, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icehawk012

icehawk012 Thread Starter

My motherboard is a model Ms-6330 Ver: 2.1 (Microstar) but it also has the gateway part number 2512595. I am currently relocating this motherboard to a brand new case that I just bought and I ran into a problem. The front panel connectors (power switch, led, hdd led, etc) go onto the motherboard in a certain area where there are 15 pins. Unfortunately I have no idea which connectors connect to which pins. Can someone help me? (Maybe someone with the same motherboard/problem). All I need is a way to identify the pins and make sure I don't like accidently fry my motherboard. Thanks a lot! -Andrew C.

2. rosh325

rosh325

Hi,
    For starters, have you checked your manual? Also, look on the m/b...in really tiny abbreviated letters you should be able to see where these go (you may see "pw switch"...."HDD ACT"........i know when i was installing my connectors, i got most of them wrong..but dont worry..no frying of the motherboard.....if the connector is in the right place but no light from the LED..try reversing the cable........the easiest cables to place are the pw switch and the reset..as you can test these easily....good luck

3. icehawk012

icehawk012 Thread Starter

So basically I should just keep moving them around until it works? Btw, I found the thing that says like pow sw for power switch but it isn't in the same place as the connector thing (and it isn't a connector either). Anyways, I guess I'll just go try that and hope it works. Thanks!

4. rosh325

rosh325

sometimes for the sake of saving space, MB manufactors will write multiple connections onto of eachother, which is nice and confusing...basically the connections are a bunch of pins (usually two rows)...i know with my motherboard..i had to put the connectors in horizontally...so it looked like this:

. . . __.....
    . . . . . . . . . in which the ___ is the connector...both the connectors and pins on the motherboard will have lables somewhere, but they may not always be the same....one may say "pw sw" while another will say "p switch".....like i said, i dont really you can cause harm by trying......my advice (as i had the same problem) is to try and look in your manual (or online) or even at the m/b and try and understadn the connectors...if it doesnt work one way, put it a row down....trust me though..the best thing to do is figure out where your pw switch and reset switch go...you will know when you got it right if you can use the buttons on the front of your case...if they dont work, then its in the wrong place...also, your speaker is easy to figure out, as when you turn on the computer, you should hear a beep (this is the post checking itself)..if you dont hear the beat, then the cable is in the wrong place......with the leds (such as the hd activity light)......if you are sure it is in the right place, but there is no light on the case, reverse the cable...as the LEDs are polarity sensitive...good luck and let me know what happens

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/126111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice