1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front Panel Microphone plug doesn't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kelly-Ward, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kelly-Ward

Kelly-Ward Thread Starter

I am frustrated! I need help. I don't know much about computers but, I am willing to learn. I have windows XP
    The microphone and line in plugs work if I plug in my headset in the back of the computer. But the headset doesn't work when plugged into the front panel.
    I would like to have the headset work when I plug it in the front panel. I am working with a vocie activated word processing program that is fantastic. But the headset cords are a little too short to be comfortable when it is plugged in the back of the computer.
    Any suggestions? I would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thank you- shauna

2. bigbear

bigbear

Is the computer factory built or was it custom built? I could be they forgot to connect to the mobo or sound card. Open the case and see if you can follow the wires from the front panel to see if they are connected.

3. Kelly-Ward

Thank you for trying to help.

It is custom built. last week we tried to connect the leads on the "motherboard" so the panel would work. That didn't fix the problem.

4. bigbear

bigbear

So the the leads are connected but they don't work, have you installed them correctly? What make and model mobo do you have?

5. Kelly-Ward

WinFast 760GXK8MB
    The green plug on the front panel (headphone) works- meaning I can hear sound from it
    What do I need to do to see if they are installed correctly?

6. Kelly-Ward

Big Bear---
    I made a mistake! i cannot hear through the headphones. So, bascially, the microphone and the speakers don't work. Wow! I am in a pickle.
    Any ideas?
    Do I need to try re-connect the front panel?

7. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

The front panel connector should be either 10 or 14 pin.. If you download the manual for your motherboard, you should be able to find out where the header should be plugged in to make the front panel work..

Different boards handle a front panel audio connector differently, some boards may disable the rear panel connectors if a front panel connector is plugged in, some boards have jumpers that need to be removed to use a front panel audio connector, some don't allow microphone input if 5.1 or 6 channel speaker output is enabled.. Check your manual..

If you don't know what model/manufactuer your board is, then use a utility like Belarc advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html or HWinfo http://www.hwinfo.com to determine the board and/or soundcard.

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

OK, your front panel audio connector is located in the bottom left hand side of the board. There should be two jumpers on it, shorting the 5-6, and 9-10, pins.. You'll have to remove the jumpers.. If you plug in headphones or speakers into the front, your rear speakers will cease to work..

If your front panel connector is standard, then use the missing key pin to determine how it plugs in..

9. Kelly-Ward

What are jumpers?
    What does "use the missing key pin to determine how it plugs in..." mean? Sorry, I am a novice.

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If you look at the connector on the board, it should be 10 pin block. One of the pins is removed making it a nine pin block.. The pin that is removed is your reference for how the wires from the front plug in..

There are two sets of two pins shorted together with a removeable device called a jumper.. You'll need to remove the two jumpers in order to plug the front connector onto the pins.

11. bigbear

bigbear

I have the manual in front of me and it looks like a standard front audio / speaker connection and I do not see the need to remove jumpers, you just have figure out which wire goes where. Start by isolating the left audio in and out and then right audio in and out, then try and work out what is left. The writing on the wires don't always say the same as the manual.

12. Kelly-Ward

Can I do these adjustments while my computer is powered on?

13. bigbear

bigbear

I would not advise it, If you can tell me what is written on each cable I should be able to tell you where they go

14. Kelly-Ward

pink-mic
    yellow-mic bias
    grn- speaker R
    white-speaker L
    black- GRND
    grey- return R
    blue- return L

I appreciate your willingness to help. I have looked at the cables and the picture in the manual. They look like they are in the right place- but unfortunately, the headset doesn't work. Tell me where you think they should go and I will check them again.
    Are there any adjustments I need to make on the audio configuration?

15. bigbear

bigbear

You seem to be one wire short unless you have two wires going in to one,
    Have you numbered them correctly? Odd numbers on the left and even numbers on the right , this is my best guess
    1 pink 2 black
    3 yellow 4 missing wire
    5 Green 6 grey
    9 White 10 Blue

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice