1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front side usb ports. what do the wires mean?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ecpool, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecpool

ecpool Thread Starter

I bought a computer case with 2 front side usb ports. There are two cables with 3 connectors (one is a 4 wire connector, red-white-green-black, connector two is red-white-green, and connector 3 is just one black wire with a "v" on it) there are two sets of these (usb1 and usb2). Why is there a seperate "v" black wire? and what do the colors represent (+5v, ground etc..) the reason I ask is that the motherboard I bought says it is important that I connect them in the right spot or damage may be done. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. ratchet

ratchet

You need to check the motherboard manual to ensure you connect to the motherboard properly. Check the manufactuers website for a diagram.

3. hammerbill

hammerbill

Yes, you could damage the board or the device attached if you hooked up USB wires wrong. I find it frustrating that USB wiring comes in different configurations. It is a must to get an accurate diagram of the pin configuration off of either an online or paper manual.
    Incidentally, after you check with the board's site manufacturers manual to see which wires go where, you may possibly need to move them around in the plug. If and when you are absolutely sure the wire configuraration in a usb plug is wrong, you actually can customize it. You look at the black plug where it goes into the motherboard and note where the pins are exposed. If you look carefully, you will see that there are tiny black tabs that are snuggly fit to the pins. These tabs can be lifted and the socket for that particular pin can be removed and transposed with another pin. you must use a minimum of force to lift the tabs or they will break or lose their grip.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/121308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice