front slot graphite imac will not start

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snevets

imac was behaving as if FBT was malfunctioning. On startup would boot to desktop and then turn itself off completely and wouldn't restart. After a few minutes rest, pressing startup button and same senario would repeat. Replaced FBT. Will not start. I know, some dummy doing the work. Question: is imac now a boat anchor or is there a reasonable troubleshooting protocol. I have never liked the turn on button which failed and was repaired by Apple shortly after purchase. Now pressing startup button has same result with computer plugged in as when unplugged. No button lights, nothing. Advise. Larry

snevets said:
imac was behaving as if FBT was malfunctioning. On startup would boot to desktop and then turn itself off completely and wouldn't restart. After a few minutes rest, pressing startup button and same senario would repeat. Replaced FBT. Will not start. I know, some dummy doing the work. Question: is imac now a boat anchor or is there a reasonable troubleshooting protocol. I have never liked the turn on button which failed and was repaired by Apple shortly after purchase. Now pressing startup button has same result with computer plugged in as when unplugged. No button lights, nothing. Advise. Larry

What's FBT??? I've never heard of that acronym.

But I do have to say, even if it's not a boat anchor, it sounds like some repairs are in the works and is it worth the money? Look into a Mini and just replace it all.

John

snevets

Nytemagik said:
What's FBT??? I've never heard of that acronym.

But I do have to say, even if it's not a boat anchor, it sounds like some repairs are in the works and is it worth the money? Look into a Mini and just replace it all.

John
FBT is flyback transformer. Larry

ok, that I know what it is.

Thanks

Get an estimate on what is wrong from a Apple service center and then decide if it's worth fixing or moving on.

John

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online