1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

front usb port unresponsive on highend case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nj12nets, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nj12nets

nj12nets Thread Starter

hey i had a custom built computer i designed mysel, pretty highernd for two years ago. the thing is i have the thermaltake II xaser 5000 i think. anyway it has a firewire por tand 2 usb ports on the front. i have no firewire products so that makes no difference to me. but the usb ports were working up until abou t a week ago. now i have four other ports in back but i dont know if theyre 2.0 or 1.1 i tried fixcing this by reconnecting all the 1pin-hole wires to the pins on the mother board because it appeared some were lose. that didnt resolve it. I tried that because the ports are on a try thing that have a quick release and i pulld it out a lil bit to check the temp lcd batt and figured it got disconnected but now idk y. can anyone help?

2. winbob

winbob

The ThermalTake is your case, but you give no clue as to the MOBO you have, so whether or not the USB is 1.1 or 2.0 remains a mystery.

Unless you are using a Add-in Card, your front and back ports are going to be the same version...... whatever the MOBO spec happens to be.

Can you check and report back with info on the MOBO and whether there is a PCI USB card installed??

Are there leads going to the rear ports or are they directly ON the MOBO or Card? If leads, can they be switched from the rear connection to the Front to check out the problem further?

3. nj12nets

nj12nets Thread Starter

ok this is where it gets confusing, t he mobo is asus phpe and i believe it was the intel 875 chipset. the usb is all built in to the motherboard without a pci card. When i first got the computer the guy told me there is a cable in the back of the computer plugged into a port under it and said if i want the firewire port to work to keep it plugged in. i dont know if t hat bears anything but i kept t hat cable plugged in

4. winbob

winbob

I tried to Google "asus phpe" and got nothing worth reading about, so I think that this is NOT the correct MOBO model designation.

5. nj12nets

nj12nets Thread Starter

*p4pe sorry. sumtimes i accidentally replace em lemme get you the exact title. sorry for the mistype and wasting your time. intel socket 478, P4PE motherboard.

6. winbob

winbob

Well, I looked up the board, and saw that the rear Ports are integrated onto the board itself, and the front Ports are cable connected.

So, I guess you can not connect the fronts to another pin set to check them out.

If this really, just 'magically' happened a week or so ago....and you "did nothing" to make it happen...I have to guess that the USB connectors on the MOBO has failed?

7. nj12nets

nj12nets Thread Starter

i never said magically i said probably when i pulled on the top part with the temp lcd it got disconnectd. there are 9-pin connectors with the front usb ports. i re connected them but i gues that didn matter. do u have any advice?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice