1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Front USB Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarnageX3, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Recently i have gotten a new motherboard, the front USB port and removable media slots are not hooked up to the mobo, i see the spot for the front USB, but it wont fit, i was wondering if their is a way to rewire the plug (I have seen it done before) And make it fit. Any help?:confused:

2. EnfoToad

EnfoToad

Try searching for the specific adapters at sites like NewEgg and TigerDirect. If you provide me with the type of connection on each side (on the wire and on the motherboard), I may be able to give you links to adapters that are available online.

3. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

How would i know what the adapter is called? I got a friend with something like it, would i look at his?

4. BG-0

BG-0

I highly doubt you're going to find any pre-made adapters for the front panel wirings... It's gonna be a solder-job, mostly...
    Do you have a Dell, HP, or such, factory-produced computer-case? I'd recommend just getting a new, quality case. They come with "standard" front panel wirings, and will 99% sure fit on any motherboard...

5. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

So theirs no hope? Don't have the money right now to buy a new case...

6. BG-0

BG-0

There is hope, I'm not saying that, but you're gonna need a bit of patience and hope. ;)
    You're going to need to find out what does each of the pins do, and separate the connectors, and reapply them in another order so the pins match. It will make you work for it, but it is possible for anyone to do if you just spend a little time researching and stuff.

7. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Hmm, so i should rearrange the pins until i get it too work?

Mother board pins look like this: ::::' - ( ' is a . )

Front USB Hookup looks like this: ::::. - The place where their is no . their is a little one with no wire in it

Does this help?:(

8. BG-0

BG-0

Well... You would actually have to find the info about your current case's wires' puropses, and then match them with the purposes of the mobo's pins... I'm unfortunately unable to provide such info. :/

9. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

Where could i get this info? It's been awhile but i still want this fixed :(

10. deubanks

deubanks

Ask a computer shop or Best Buy or Circuit City if they have, or can tell you what you need.

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

OK, the motherboard header has 5 pins on one side, and 4 pins on the other side is that correct? Is that header marked USB?

Does the plug coming from the front panel have 8 wires hooked to it, with one connector space empty, and a white plug in the space next to the empty space? Is that plug marked USB?

12. CarnageX3

CarnageX3 Thread Starter

The mother board does have 4 pins on one side and 5 on the other, the header is marked with "fp_usb"

Yes the plus has 8 wires with one two empty, don't see anything marked USB on the plug, and the white wire 3 spaces down from one of the empty places, "One of the space including the white wire" Does this help you? Thanks a lot for helping me.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

USB motherboard headers are standard, and are arranged so there are 5 pins on one side and 4 pins on the other side.

Currently used USB plugs are normally 2x5 connectors (5 holes on each side) with wires connected to the first 4 holes on each side and the last hole on each side is empty. One of the last holes should be completely empty, and the other hole normally has a white block that coincides with the missing pin on the motherboard header. The white block is put in the plug hole so that the plug cannot be plugged in backwards, or plugged into the wrong motherboard header.

This is done since many motherboards also use motherboard headers with 5 pins on one side and 4 pins on the other side for the front panel connectors (power switch, reset, power LED, and hard drive LED), and this same type header is also used on motherboards for 1394 firewire connectors.

Since you state that the plug is not marked USB, do any of the wires that are attached to that connector have any markings such as +5, -D1, -D2, +D1, +D2, etc?

It would probably help if you could post a couple of clear pictures of the plug you are looking at.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice