1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FrontPage 2000 css changes

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by theolddog, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

Hi. I'm using FP 2000 and I have chosen one of the Style Sheets, saved it as a .css and applied it to all of my pages. It works great. But now I want to change the background colour of this particular sheet. Using the Style Toolbar I have modified the colour of the body and saved it. Now, in normal view, the background colour has changed to what I want it to be. But, in preview it is still the default background colour. Why? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help.

theolddog :)

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't know if this is 'the proper' solution but you can set up an individual css file for the pages that you want to have different colors OR you could also try 'forcing' the background color (in html view) using this line just beneath the </head> tag:

<body style= "background-color: #FFFFFF">

Of course, change the color number to whatever color it is you are trying to get. (I Just tried the above in FP 2002 and it did work to over-ride the css color in browser view using IE6. Do not know if this will work for an other browser though.)

3. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

I've since discovered that there is apparantly a bug in FP 2000 that causes FP to crash when you try to save changes to CSS style sheets. At least that is what I have read in my search on Google. Do you know anything about this and is there a fix for it? Indeed that is what happens to me. I can make the changes and they show up in Normal View but when I try to save the changes FP just crashes. I was told elsewhere that I needed to use Notepad to make and save the changes which I can do but the more I think about it, I can't believe there isn't a fix for a major problem like that. The only other suggestions I've received is to upgrade to 2003 which I may do.

theolddog

4. ViperGTS

ViperGTS

Hi OldDog.

Dreamboat asked me to take a run at this.

I have similar issues with both FP 2000 and 2002. As a matter of fact, if I do not close out of FP all together, my changes sometimes will not register- thus throwing me off a bit when it comes to sizing and postioning. I seem to have more trouble with absolute positioning, z-order and <div> than anything else; color always seems to update for me.
    I am not sure why any of this happens and really haven't taken the time to research the issue. I have always just plodded along doing my work-arounds to get what I need. But since I am trying to work more with CSS I am becoming more interested in these issues though (since it takes more time to get my changes to show up in FP than it does to actually make the changes...LOL!).

If I happen upon the answers to correcting or working around the color issue I will get back here to let you know about it (I am not convinced that you are doing anything wrong, but maybe there is something that needs to be activated or installed to correct this??? Could we be that lucky??)

Regards,

Scott

5. theolddog

theolddog Thread Starter

Hi Scott. Thanks for your response. I decided to upgrade to FP 2003 and hopefully I won't have the same (or other) problems there. But boy, does 2003 ever look different than 2000! I've got a lot of learning to do.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with other questions.

theolddog :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!