1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frontpage 2000

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by scuffer92, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scuffer92

scuffer92 Thread Starter

I've designed a web site, but when i upload it onto the net.
    I find when looking at it on other peoples machines the words
    and graphic sometimes move around.
    (Please please can anyone "HELP" )

2. Rockn

Rockn

What screen resolution did you create the page at? It's best to make pages at 800x600 for end user reasons.

3. hottesttotty

hottesttotty

Rockn is right, first of all, to keep in mind 800x600 res. when designing, since it is, at this time, the most common setting.

I would suggest you put all (or at least most!!) text (and images for that matter!!) in tables. This gives you greater control over where they "land", regardless of machine and/or browser. If it's mostly text based pages, you may want to consider using percentages, rather than pixels, for your table sizes, that way it "fits" on the screen, regardless. Where there's alot of pictures or graphics involved tho, I've always found it best to use pixels, since you know you'll need a certain size for the images, depending on their size.

Hope this helps!!

TT:)

4. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I have used FP for awhile, always used the program to do my work and then upload. I did notice that things on Netscape were a little out of place. Just recently I have started playing around with the PWS ( Personal Web Server ) that was an add-on that had to be put in from the Win 98 SE disk using the X:drive. I went ahead and changed prices and pics using the PWS to do my work on. Then just the other day, I went to Netscape and noticed that while our web site was not perfect, it was a lot better than it had ever been before. What I know of PWS is what I have learned in the help and turtorials, MS say's that you are using your Computer with PWS as a web server so you can see how your pages will look before you upload them. I am going to have to work with this PWS some more before I fully understand all it can do. Almost everytime I check for # of hits & what browsers our visitors use most it seems IE is always in the 90% range. So even though most People use IE it would be nice to have your web site look the same on all browsers. If Microsoft could program FP to do best on their browser IE, I do belive that is something they might do. Although If I were a Netscape user looking for Web development Software to buy, I sure would not choose MS Front Page, just because it would not work out as well with my chosen browser. If your using an OS that has the PWS option you might give it a try, Other than that I have seen Freeware that claims to help you develop your web pages so they will look the same at other settings. Becareful with freeware, I paid $150.00 for Front Page then with the help of AdAware removed so much Spyware/ Freeware I don't even look at the freeware anymore. Marturo

5. Hect

Hect

Are you using "Position Absolute"? If so, this feature works good on your own computer, but often looks totally different on someone elses. Try positioning clip and photos without using positon absolute.

6. Marturo

Marturo Guest

I just got back online after a long wait for ADSL. I was with @HOME Cable and had a long wait before Bell South sent me my ADSL Modem. I guess I have been lucky because I just have a few little things that don't display well on Netscape. With IE everything looks like I uploaded it on other Computers. I just noticed that when I started using the PWS to work with my pages a lot of the spacing came out better than when I used FP 2000 alone. Marturo

7. Rockn

Rockn

All PWS is is a standalone web server. It does absolutely nothing to format your pages. You know why FP designed web sites don't look food in Netscape? Because FP is a Microsoft product designed create web pages that look good on IE (Microsoft product). Get an editor that formats pages to the W3C standard.

8. Marturo

Marturo Guest

Yes I believe that I know why MS made FP to work with their own Software ( You can get it in any color as long as it is black) "Henry Ford' Model T Ford. I bought FrontPage and only made one mistake. I did not Buy Office 2000 for a few dollars more with FP in it. Having no Office suite I saw the prices on MS Office 97, 2000 and then downloaded Star Office for free. What a mess that was. I spend 12 to 16 hours a day running an Organic Farm in season, I did not want to have to learn another language (HTML) so I bought a product that would let me put up a half ways good Web Site so our family could sell our Produce. Since I am using Win 98 SE it has the PWS that I did not use for a long time. After I started using it though I could see where this was out and this was the wrong color a lot better than just uploading the work I had done and hope for the best. In season we avarage 800 hits a day and 97% are using Micro Soft IE as I am. For someone like me getting started, I still hold my breath as my files are uploaded hoping it looks the same online as it did on my screen. The last time I upgraded the site I see that the HTML and HTM problem has returned where you have two home pages with different last names. This Time it just flashes and is gone the last time, If you typed in the URL you would get the old home page and when you were in the site and hit HOME it took you back to the new home page. I think I went into the control panel and removed the HTML home page leaving the HTM page. I can't even figure out how to use my own mail settings to have [email protected] I have to setup a hot mail account with the name and password remembered so people can write me, and while your at it feel free to send a few e-mails of your own it is the whole mailbox. Between this friend of mine with a under construction sign on his paid domain web site for 2 years now, who also says if you don't know HTML you don't deserve a web site, to I don't like the way Micro Soft makes their software work best with their own stuff. I just don't have the time to think about that right now I just want a software program to do what I need it to do and try not to spend a fortune while I am at it. I would like to learn more about FP 2000 so that I can have a nice looking informitive site as possable. Oh I have a brand new in the box Mandrake 8 (Linux) that I was told, just partition your disk and stick it on. When I wrote Western Digital they told me I would have better luck putting another OS onto a slave drive than putting it on with Windows for stability. So that's where I am now as far as FrontPage 2000, and I am open to any suggestions as how to better my web designing. Marturo

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice