Frontpage 2003

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Hi all,

I'm interested in using Frontpage 2003 to do some basic maintenace on an existing site. Most what I want to do is simply change some text and pictures and what not ocassionally.

I have never used Frontpage before, and I am not very well acquainted with the behind the scenes maintenance of websites, either. So, my question is: what book would you all recommend as a tutorial? What book, in your opinion, is a relatively easy to understand book to help me use Frontpage for what I want to accomplish?

f1_champ

Banned
Do not use front page, if you use frontpage you ar egonna have all kinds of compatibility issues with browsers other than IE.
Try NVU, its got an easy to use UI and I dont think you would need to read books to learn how to use it and best its free.

Well, with WYSIWYG editors (such as frontpage, dreamweaver, nvu, etc.) you usually don't have to buy any books since anything you want to do is a few mouse clicks away :p

If you want to learn how to code on your own, you can try "html for dummies" although personally I think the "for dummies" series of books is kinda lame and written by dummies lol

LauraMJ

Administrator
Well, with WYSIWYG editors (such as frontpage, dreamweaver, nvu, etc.) you usually don't have to buy any books since anything you want to do is a few mouse clicks away
Well, that sounds encouraging! So you feel it should be fairly easy to see how to use it?

LauraMJ said:
Well, that sounds encouraging! So you feel it should be fairly easy to see how to use it?

Yeah, but like f1_champ said I'd suggest NVU. Frontpage is very glitchy and you'd need special frontpage extensions on your webspace. Frontpage is also a big bandwidth eater, so the sites are usually slow to run.

Frontpage is a very dirty way to create pages, it writes allot of bad code, and special markups that arent required. If you have MSword, it can be used, however it is just a step below frontpage, neither are good to use especially if your planning on buying it.
Like stated earlier, try a free editor. If you want to buy WYSIWYG editors, then Dreamweaver is the most reliable one out there, in a professional point of view anyhow. I am in the business, allot of my counterparts, competitors and my team use Dreamweaver (although nothing compares to hand coding). As far as books, the "sams, teach yourself .... in 24 hours" series are very good reading.

Frontpage compatibility is expressely requested allot in this business from clients, but once they learn compatibility issues, they change their minds and trust the professionals.

Wow, what a lot of Frontpage bashing. (I personally use whatever it takes to get, do, and keep the job--Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Notepad, etc.--and web design and maintenance has been my sole source of income for years.) Too bad it doesn't answer the question.

If your web hosting service supports Frontpage, then, yes, it will work just fine for the kind of maintenance your talking about. It is very intuitive and an excellent way for a beginner to start and maintain a website. If you can use MS Word, you can use Frontpage. You'll need to ask the hosting service if they support it, and then get a username and password for access.

If they don't support it, then find out whether they support FTP access for which you'd also need a username and password. Using this method would be more laborious, because you'll have to use FTP to create a local copy of your site, edit files locally with Frontpage, then use FTP again to upload the changed and added pages and files. (I'm not sure if Frontpage 2003 may have added FTP support built in.) Also, certain features of Frontpage which require Frontpage extensions (like the various includes and form controls) will simply not work on the site.

As far as recommending a book, I really can't help you there; that's just not how I learn things. If you have Frontpage on your computer, open it, create a site, and just start playing with it and changing and adding things. Use the internal help system. Look up things you don't know and find tutorials through Google. Ask questions here. Hope this helps somewhat.

LauraMJ

Administrator
Thanks, everyone! I have no desire to start writing code or doing any real technical work on the site, I only want to be able to change pictures and text occasionally on an existing site that I own. I have someone that will be able to fix any technical problems and write any code that needs to be done. I only want to be able to do a few things like put up articles and change pictures and such by myself.

ptvGuy,

I was told by someone from the hosting company that I would be able to use Frontpage on this site, so I'm assuming the hosting service supports it.

If most feel that Frontpage is easy enough to figure out by using it and a book is not needed, that is fine........I've never used it so I really have no idea. I am just trying to see what I might need.

The closest I've come to using any sort of website creative software is the Trellix that my ISP provides with my account. (This is not the same ISP as the website I am wanting to work on. The website I am wanting to work on is in my signature.) The one website I've played around creating with Trellix is here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~martlock/

Is Frontpage at all similar, so far as a beginner using it, as this Trellix program?

Well I suppose if you can stick with it, keep using Trellix. I've never tried it, but from the look at the page source it seems to add less pointless code than frontpage :p

(with frontpage your source will be loaded with 3 times as much pointless code)

But there are some glithces in Trellix too. I noticed at the bottom of the source, it would add quotes twice ("") instead of just (")

For example: <font color="666600"">

f1_champ

Banned
LauraMJ said:
Is Frontpage at all similar, so far as a beginner using it, as this Trellix program?
All the WYSIWYG editors are designed from a beginers point of view, the whole point of WYSIWYG editors is that beginers can use them to create websites easily.:)

LauraMJ

Administrator
Can you tell I'm a beginner at this sort of thing? ;) I'm such a beginner, I haven't even begun, yet.......

LauraMJ

Administrator
Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that I've been using Frontpage on my website and it is EXTREMELY easy, right from the first. Without having read any isntructions on it, and without knowing anything about coding, ect, I have had no trouble figuring out what I wanted to do.

Of course, I realize that it is probably a great deal harder to create something from scratch, but when one simply wants to edit and do routine changes and such on an existing site, I HIGHLY recommend Frontpage! (y)

Thanks, ptvGuy, for encouraging me to go on and give it a try. :D

Hello folks, :)

Just looking around and found this site. My first post !

First, I would like to say that "I have no relationship with the sites mentioned below other that the ones in my signature (which are mine)". I just used the &%$#^&* out of them a while back---LOL And, I plan on using them some more soon.

I use Trellix 2.7 still and find it to be easy to use

I will try to give a bit of helpful information on using Trellix.

Trellix (really an old name) is now called CuteSite Builder.

CuteSite Builder is a paid version.

Trellix Web is not the same as Trellix ! ( Want to know the whole story on that --you will have to go to the forum that I tell you about below).

Many of us die hard fans( or just plain stubbon and cheap to buy the paid version :rolleyes: ) are still using the old Trellix versions which came included with the computer when purchased. You can actually get the free versions from http://members.cox.net/kcwebster/trellixhelp/trellixweb.htm

Its about a 3 step process because you need to get a free version, then the upgrade, then you will want the "publish anywhere" feature. Just do a little reading there or I could help a little if I remember how to--:eek:

Some other great and helpful sites are

This is the old forum link http://www.cuteftp.com/board/default.asp?b=1

This is the newer version of a forum (actually it is the CuteSite Builder/Trellix forum). They closed the old Trellix forum, but it is still searchable if I am not mistaken. There are links to it on this forum also.

New forum is http://forums.globalscape.com/tt.aspx?forumid=12

Then there is this great lady (Sami) who moderates on the site above now (I gotta stop by there to say hi to her, I haven't posted there yet). She has had her own website since the days of the old forum. Her site has a lot of super information and help on using Trellix. Probably the best "go to" site for when you are in a bind.

Her site is http://www.samisite.com/

Also another helpful person (if I can get this right) was kw on the old forum. I would think he post there some. But if he doesn't, just ask about him on the forum and you will be directed to his site via sami probably.

Sorry, I can't remember about kw. But my website has been down for some time and I am just fixing to get it back up again, along with some others.

My website will be rough at first. I will not have much time to work on it for a while. I have to get into the groove again:cool:

They are not up yet , still gotta upload them. Domain names etc. are ready.

I would recommend Trellix (old version) for newbies or anyone wanting a free program.
Just to make simple changes is a breeze. Just redo text, image, etc. then click on publish. It's done!

WebNetIncome -
LOL, you don't even have a signature. :rolleyes:

LauraMJ -
I use FrontPage, and do not have problems with it - see below.
The best resource for FrontPage is the FrontPage help file. ;)

namenotfound & other FrontPage-bashing-people -
From my point of view FrontPage does not create lots of pointless code, if you know how to use it right. :) And true, some features of FrontPage do require "FrontPage Extensions," but those features would otherwise not be available in other WYSIWYG editors, or you would need to use an external script.

Note: The site www.erikswan.net in my signature was created with FrontPage, and I don't see any "pointless code." :)

Meh, you removed it in the 'html' tab on Frontpage :p

By default (without going to the 'html' tab which is about what 75% of all Frontpage users do) there's a lot of pointless code

There's a lot of Frontpage users that have no idea that you can edit the raw code in the 'html' tab :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online