Frontpage and background sharing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jay_JWLH

Alright, i got this working using a different type of frontpage, but now im using frontpage 2003. I want to be able to get one new page to share the background of another page (in my case, the index page). So this way i can change the background of the index page, and then the rest of the website pages change their backgrounds to reflect the index's page. I cant find anything that enables me to do this, and when i look at the other pages that already have this enabled (where i used a different frontpage), they just seem to have an unchangable colour. I guess ill add a few small shot below, and if you want to, ask more questions.

Attachments

Use an external CSS file, specifing the "body" background and then linking to it on each page. If you want to change the background, just change the CSS.

Jay_JWLH

Not the best type of answer i would like right now, seeing as i like to keep it all working in design view. You may want to tell me more about this (how to create it). Still, other answers will still be appreciated.

I'm a Dreamweaver user myself, but how about these ways?

1. First, Front Page does allow you to make themes. Can you just make one an apply it to a group of pages (like I said, I don't know how that works)
  2. Second, can you just do a find and replace over several documents? That works in Dreamweaver pretty well.
  3. Third, if there is no easy way, just do it by hand, unless you have 100 pages to do. If that is the case, just to a find and replace.
  4. Fourth, use CSS like the person said above. CSS is very simple to use! Here is snipit of code that you can apply to your pages:
    Code:
    BODY {background-color: #FFFFFF}
    Save that into a file called whateveryouwant.css.
    Then, to link that, place this within the header of your page:
    Code:
    <LINK href="whateveryouwant.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

Now, whenever you change the background color in the CSS file, it'll automatically change it in all of the pages. Also, be aware that if the page is in a different directory than the CSS file, you need to make sure that the link href is pointed correctly to the CSS file. I'm sure you already know that, but I've seen it many times where someone put a page in a different directory and did not update the CSS location. If those don't work, do a very simple search for CSS and background colors on Google, AV, Yahoo, etc.

I'm running 2002 and if you open Page Properties > Background, there is an option at the bottom of the window stating 'Get background information from another page'. Check the box, click browse and select your index file.

If this isn't an option in 2003, the following appears to be the html that is making it happen (substitute your index file name for index.html) if you'd like to paste into your code view after (</head>) and give it a try.

<body stylesrc="index.html">

</body>

Jay_JWLH said:
Not the best type of answer i would like right now, seeing as i like to keep it all working in design view. You may want to tell me more about this (how to create it). Still, other answers will still be appreciated.
You can still use design view with CSS. I'm on a different computer at the moment that doesn't have FrontPage on it, but from my memory, this is roughly how you do it:
  1. Create a new CSS file within the directory (might be possible with "New page from template").
  2. Open the CSS file in FrontPage (double-click).
  3. A floating toolbar should pop up. Click on "Style..."
  4. There you will see a list of HTML tags. Click on the body one.
  5. There should be like some "Format..." button or dropdown box. I think choose the border option.
  6. Then there should be a background tab or something like that.
  7. Choose the background color.
  8. Then, go back to your page and go to something like this: Format > Style...
  9. There should be some dialog box to link to the CSS file. Do that with every page.
  10. Change the CSS body element and watch every page change.

I'll get back to my PC with FrontPage on Wednesday...

n0sferatu said:
I'm running 2002 and if you open Page Properties > Background, there is an option at the bottom of the window stating 'Get background information from another page'. Check the box, click browse and select your index file.

If this isn't an option in 2003, the following appears to be the html that is making it happen (substitute your index file name for index.html) if you'd like to paste into your code view after (</head>) and give it a try.

<body stylesrc="index.html">

</body>
That's probably an old, expired, and incompatible attribute for the <body> tag:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_body.asp

It probably will only work in Internet Explorer if it works at all.

Jay_JWLH

liammacg said:
I'm a Dreamweaver user myself, but how about these ways?

1. First, Front Page does allow you to make themes. Can you just make one an apply it to a group of pages (like I said, I don't know how that works)
  2. Second, can you just do a find and replace over several documents? That works in Dreamweaver pretty well.
  3. Third, if there is no easy way, just do it by hand, unless you have 100 pages to do. If that is the case, just to a find and replace.
  4. Fourth, use CSS like the person said above. CSS is very simple to use! Here is snipit of code that you can apply to your pages:
    Code:
    BODY {background-color: #FFFFFF}
    Code:

Now, whenever you change the background color in the CSS file, it'll automatically change it in all of the pages. Also, be aware that if the page is in a different directory than the CSS file, you need to make sure that the link href is pointed correctly to the CSS file. I'm sure you already know that, but I've seen it many times where someone put a page in a different directory and did not update the CSS location. If those don't work, do a very simple search for CSS and background colors on Google, AV, Yahoo, etc.
Yeah i think ill go with the fourth way. I think what you mean is create a html page with its own background, then get all the sites pages to take the background from that page. Dont think it will be hard to do, so ill do it now. Did also manage to find what i had to copy and paste into it [<body bgcolor="#008080">]

Jay_JWLH

Wait i just put myself in a loop. So far i could only manage to figure out that it will take an image from image type files (bmp.jpg....). I may as well also note that this isnt just an image, its a simple colour. Want to avoid all the fuss and just get me to copy and paste that part of the code for that colour?

Jay_JWLH

So if i copy this part of the code in, will it function in the right way where it takes the index pages' background?

Code:

In this situation im begining to believe a CSS file is just like the index page, and your using this code to take the background from either files. I havnt even created a CSS file yet anyway.

Hope all this editing hasnt confused people, as its easier to say things than say them right.

Copy and paste this exact code into notepad:
Code:
body { background-image: [COLOR="Red"]your_image_url[/COLOR]; }
Save this document in the same directory as your page as whatever_you_want.css

Now copy and paste this exact code into the <head></head> tag on each page:
Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" ref="[COLOR="Red"]your_css_filename[/COLOR].css">
Please replace the red text with what it implies.
If you have any more trouble, please contact me @ this address

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online