1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frontpage server extensions

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Bogged, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bogged

Bogged Thread Starter

Hello readers and thanks for any help in advance..... I have re-installed MS frontpage 2000 after a hard drive format. I redesigned my website and tried to upload it to my Iprimus web space. I got the error...

The server you are publishing to does not have the Frontpage server
    extensions installed, and therefore does not support publishing via HTTP. To continue publishing, specify a location that will work with FTP.

Now this has all worked before the format/re-install and I've published to this site many times, and I'm quite certain I used http://home.iprimus.com.au/USERNAME/, not an FTP address.

....any help muchly appreciated.
    Thanks...Wayne

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Hi

I would just suggest getting WSFTP_LE and doing it their way. FP is notorious for upload problems!

3. Bogged

Bogged Thread Starter

Thanks Bassetman for the reply and help. I take it that WSFTP_LE is an uploading program? Is it hard to use? I'm fairly computer illiterate.

It annoys me because I've had no problems with FP and using the HTTP address before. But if this program can fix the problem I'll give it a go.

4. Moegopher

Moegopher

Yes. Get an FTP program like SmartFTP or FlashFXP and use those to upload. If you want, I can help you further with this. Maybe this isn't what you meant....

5. Pistoff

Pistoff

Hello all,
    This appears to be a great starting point for this. First, I apologize for this lengthy post. Secondly, some of the software that I use is:
    Microsoft Expression Web Designer CTP 1 (BETA)
    Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition
    Microsoft Office 2007 (with Front Page of course)
    Macromedia Flash MX
    Adobe Acrobat 5.0 writer​
    I have been using Front Page to build the pages in the past but feel that I may have problems in the future via extensions. Below is a partial excerpt from my ISP.

Please Note that my questionable features will be coded in RED.

"If you don't have the time to learn HTML, you can use any of the popular WYSIWYG ("What You See Is What You Get") Web page creation software such as Microsoft FrontPage. By using WYSIWYG software, you can create Web pages without learning HTML. However, WYSIWYGs are often limited in their functionality and are usually not as efficient as coding HTML "by hand." They are, however, extremely useful for novices.

Uploading and Accessing my Personal Web Page.
    To upload your files to your new web page, you will need to use FTP software, such as: WS_FTP, CuteFTP, Fetch, etc.
    Using FTP software, connect to ftp.YourISP'sDomain but not via an Anonymous login. Enter the Username and Password you are currently using for your own account. When FTP makes the connection to the server, you will be placed in your top-level folder. There will already be one or more subfolders shown on the Remote host side, such as WORKSPACE. One of these folders will be WWW. Change to that folder (most simply by double-clicking on the WWW folder name).

Can I use FrontPage?
    We don't support FrontPage extensions for personal Web space. You can, of course, use FrontPage to design your pages, but you won't be able to use the full functionality. If you need Front Page Extensions, please contact a Customer Service Representative for information on commercial web hosting."​
    Meta tags and other trivial bumps should not be a problem.

-pist-

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483068

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice