1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FrontPage

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by TeeDee, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TeeDee

TeeDee Thread Starter

I'm setting up a basic website, using FrontPage 2000. When I preview my site in Microsoft Internet Explorer, it looks great, but when I preview it in Netscape, it looks like a mess. My home page has a Photo on the right, and a Paragraph of justified text on the left. In Netscape, the text area comes out much smaller, and the text is not justified properly, and doesn't line up properly with the picture. I also have a banner with a border, running across the top of the page. This is fine in internet explorer, but in Netscape the border doesn't show up, only the text does. I have similar problems on all the other pages of my site. Things don't look the same in Inernet Explorer and Netscape. Is this just a limitation of Frontpage, that I have to work around, or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

2. Rockn

Rockn

What's the web address? Another reason FP isn't my favorite editor...foramts pages the way it sees fit.

3. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Microsoft makes Front Page and Microsoft Makes Internet Explorer. Microsoft would love to see Netscape put out of business, so it's not going to make a product that allows for the easy creation of web pages that look beautiful on its competitor's product.

4. TeeDee

TeeDee Thread Starter

So I guess this web page thing isn't as easy as it looks. I'm trying to teach myself HTML, so I can work around this annoying FrontPage. And I thought a basic boring Web Page would be simple.

Thanks for the Help ROCKN, but don't have it up on the web yet, and I probably won't put it up, till I iron out all the kinks.

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

most things look at least similar in ie and netsc.

check your FP settings:
    tools
    page options
    compatibility
    choose both ie and netsc
    versions 4.0 and higher

you might also want to choose netsc only - then see how it looks in ie

that hopefully will remove some of the buggy things you're noticing
    (but hard to tell without seeing the page - how bout putting it up on a free webspace or something for test purposes - then we'd be able to provide more specific suggestions)

are you using tables to keep the pic and text where you want them?

6. TeeDee

TeeDee Thread Starter

Thanks for your Help!!

I think I'm getting the hang of web design. Design your page, and it may or may not look good to viewers.

I tried changing the compatability to Netscape only, but it didn't change anything.

I decided to scrap the border thing, because it doesn't work in Netscape. Maybe it's copyrighted to Microsoft or something. I'll rather do it in Illustrator, and import it as an image.

The spacing is still funny. On my home page I have a table, and I have my Photo on the right cell, and justified text in the left cell. The text area is much narrower in Netscape than in Explorer. The only solution I came up with is to make the text area wider, so that it looks slightly wider than I would have liked in Explorer, but it looks reasonable in Netscape. I'm trying to do the same to all my pages. Trying to tweak them a little that they look decent in both, instead of perfect in one and horrible in the other. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears.

I'll try to get it up on Yahoo, when I get a chance, I just don't want it to be negative publicity for our company, in case anyone accidentally stumbles upon it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice