1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Fronts USB ports have stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cm1, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cm1

cm1 Thread Starter

Yes....my front USB ports no longer work.

I have 3 at the front for easy access, and 2 at the rear. It's just the front ones that have stopped working. I have tried a memory stick, camera, sat-nav, and phone, and nothing is recognised in any of the front 3 ports but work fine in the rear. I have a external hard drive, which has its own power supply and tried that, that also works fine in the back but not in the front ports.

The drives are not listed in Computer management.

Here is what I have tried: Phisically checked, disconnected and reconnected the wired connections inside the PC. Checked for device conflicts. Disabled each USB controller in one by one in turn. Uninstalled all USB controllers, rebooted to find and install all controllers again.

Logically, I can't think it to be a physical connection problem because nothing has changed or moved to disturb the enclosed wiring. I can only think that there is a common component controlling the front ports that has become 'misconfigured' or worst scenario - gone 'pop'.

I did attempt to 'system restore' but since this problem occurred, I have installed XP SP3 and cannot roll back to a date where I remember them working.

Where next - or is it terminal?

Windows XP Home (now SP3)
    HP Pavillion
    AMD 64

2. cm1

cm1 Thread Starter

In addition, as I can't use the USB lead to access pictures on my camera, I have just tried the XD camera card and it seems that the front card slots don't work either. It must be a fault common to the front panel. I have checked and double checked the physical connections. Please, any suggestions? Many thanks.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

When the rear USB ports work, but the front USB ports don't work you have to in the beginning at least assume the problem is in the ports rather than in the USB circuitry.

The only way I am aware of to troubleshoot this problem is by unplugging the front USB port connector from the motherboard header and plug in a known good USB assembly (plug, lines and ports) into the motherboard header and see if the known good assembly works. If the known good assembly works the problem is in the original assembly. If the known good assembly doesn't work then the problem is in the USB motherboard header. If the problem is found to be in the USB motherboard header the solution is to install a PCI USB card assembly and use it rather than the motherboard header.

Since people other than builders or repairs don't generally have a known good USB assembly to use for testing you would need to take your tower to a shop that has a known good USB assembly for testing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/997865

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice