1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Froze on zig zag screen & now won't load to BIOS (no beep)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by countj, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. countj

countj Thread Starter

Hey folks,

Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but here's what happened. Whilst browsing, my PC froze with the screen changing to a strange pixelated zig zag pattern. Upon hitting the reset button, my computer now will not load to BIOS, with no beep- it just stays powered on with a black screen. The LED still functions and I can open the CD drive & close it.

Upon doing a bit of research, it sounds like it could be a video card problem. Although the fact that it randomly happened whilst browsing, and that I no longer get a beep on start up makes me think it could be a virus (although Avast! was running at the time)!

Any help as to how to fix greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

System spec:
    Windows XP Service Pack 3
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core +4600
    992 MB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150
    Barracuda 7200.10 Ultra ATA/100 250GB
    ASUS M2NPV-VM Motherboard
    M-Audio 2496 Soundcard
    Avast! Free Antivirus & Malwarebytes

2. countj

countj Thread Starter

Also, now the computer turns on as soon as I switch the mains power on at the wall, without having to push the power button on the tower!

Any help greatly appreciated!

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It's almost certainly a hardware problem, not a Virus.

Can you swap in a known working PSU to test ?

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It does sound more like a power supply problem. Just because a few lights light up, and you can open the CD Drawer, and maybe some fans still run, does not mean the power supply is providing the power required to operate the rest of the system.

5. countj

countj Thread Starter

That's a relief as seems like it will be much easier to fix the PSU than a virus! I actually replaced the power supply about a month ago, and also replaced the battery on the motherboard- could it be a loose connection coming from the PSU? The power supply is brand new so it really shouldn't be that!

6. countj

countj Thread Starter

Okay I've just tried disconnecting and reconnecting all of the leads from the PSU to the individual components, and the same is happening! Unfortunately I don't have access to a known working PSU. One thing I noticed is that the current power supply is rated at 500w, where as the original one that failed was 650w- could this be an issue? It seemed to be working fine for the past month up until now.

Thanks!

7. adam3088

adam3088

Who made your current PSU? A reasonable 500w power supply is more then enough to run that system.

8. countj

countj Thread Starter

9. countj

countj Thread Starter

I've also tried removing each stick of memory and testing one at a time, and then no extra RAM, and have tried disconnecting the video card, but still getting no beep/BIOS!

10. countj

countj Thread Starter

Is there a chance that the mobo could be fried? Hopefully get my hands on a PSU to test that soon, but I fear the worst!

11. XPWhizzKid

XPWhizzKid

Yes it could be.

12. adam3088

adam3088

Never cheap out on a PSU, what you brought there is a timebomb which has the possibility of taking out the whole system it's plugged into.
    There's a chance that it's fried something (or some things) in your PC, your first step is to get a good PSU to start testing with.

Always buy a known brand name with a good efficiency rating, the investment will pay off for you buy not going bang after a week.

13. countj

countj Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice adam. I hadn't researched the PSU and basically bought one from the repair shop that I had look at it (and fitted it myself). I still have the receipt so will take it in to have them test my PC with a known working PSU to see if it is the problem.

If the worst case scenario proves to be true and my mobo is fried, can anyone recommend a good replacement that would be compatible with my system/memory (detailed in my 1st post)?

Thanks!

14. countj

countj Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help- I checked it in to the shop and looks like the motherboard has gone.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice