1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

frozen computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chess master, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chess master

chess master Thread Starter

I want to thank you for the work you do at this web site.
    I have a problem my computer freezes after running a program or when i disconnect from the internet or E-mail. I am running a Dell Dimension 2350 A02. 2.20 gig. Intel Pentium 4. I have 60.01 GB Hard drive with 48.29 free.I run Belarc Advisor and it indicates that the Hard drive is Healthy. Dell replaced the hard drive this year and the fan. I had come to this Forum on another problem and you solved it. Can you help me ? or do you have any suggestions?

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Need more info please. Does it freeze on a certain program or all programs? Does it freeze after an hour, two hours or right after a cold boot? This might identify a temp problem. In short try and describe exactly what is happening at the time of the freeze. Also if you re-boot does everything go back to normal? Is it doing this freeze every time you work on your machine or only once in a while?

3. chess master

Thanks 4 the reply. When i reboot it boots up with the screen in a different color and it states on the screen active desk recovery. I tried to use safe mode but i get an error message problem that won't let me use safe mode. I tried to use MY VIRUS program to ck for problems but it freezes after it almost completes it job. i got a message on my screen that stated that windows shut down to prevent damage to the computer. I need to go to properties on the desk top to screen tab to bring back my normal desk top color. IT appears that it is starting to freeze with any program i use.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

This doesn't sound good at all. Can you be more precise. Is the whole message "Active Desk (or is it disk) Recovery"? What was the error message when attempting safe mode. Is your machine making any unusual sounds like the hard drive is making clicking noises or anything.

5. chess master

the message is disk recovery...hard drive not making any sounds. since we last spoke, I tried to ck disk and it said that I have some files that have been changed and could not complete the program. a message said that I should reinstall windows. the mach came with pack 1 and have been runnig pack 2 when dell wiped out my system and reinstalled it. do I need to uninstall 2 and reinstall? or can I repair the files?

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

Is the drive still under warranty? You may need to call Dell service and explain the problem. They may need to replace it again. In fact I'd bet on it. It's possible it's some really bad virus but from the limited message info and your description I can't tell. I'd rescue any files you can immediately. Copy them to floppy disks if you have to but if it is the drive and it's failing the data will be lost.

Rather than run Chk Dsk can you run Scandisk ?

Next, if you'd rather you can try a complete format of the drive and a complete re-install of Windows. For that you'll need the Windows disk and then reinstall the service packs. It's debatable whether you can repair. If the hard drive has corrupted master boot records files or a virus has done that much damage then it's very doubtful.

7. chess master

thanks 4 the suggestion. I tried scan disk and check disk. Funny thing through the computer works and then when I exit out of the internet it goes black with the message that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down
    cancel_state_In_compleated_IRP? THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. I WILL CONTACT DELL LAST TIME THEY KEEP INSISTING IT WAS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM.

CHESS MASTER

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

9. anky64

anky64

I had similar problems and after changing memory, power supply etc it finally was traced to a faulty graphic card. Try replacing the card it may be a similar fault, good luck

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

How do you access the internet? This could be telling you there is a modem hardware problem?

11. chess master

thanks for all the replys. I contacted dell and they give me the same old BS ..IT HAS TO BE A SOFTWARE PROBLEM .My warranty run out in march this year however we now have a new group of experts and if you pay us $ 99.00 WE CAN FIX IT, WHAT A BUNCH OF SH... I will try your sugesstions and hope one works. I use windows 2000 xp pro.

Thans again,
    Chess Master

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice