1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frozen Cursor...Frozen Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theron, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theron

theron Thread Starter

I'm running W2K on an

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
    512MB memory
    gForce3 gfx card
    200GB Seagate Ultra
    Soundblaster Audigy

I just ran into a problem that I've not encountered before with any of my systems.

After a couple of hours of inactivity on my system, the system froze completely. I had to reset it because I couldn't reboot via the normal graceful ways. Anyway, when I did this, I heard a series of 2 short beeps followed by another series of maybe 8 regular beeps and I had no display. The funny thing is when I went to start it up again the next day, it came up, but the clock was wrong and after being able to type only a few characters, it froze up again. I might mention that although the frozen cursor problem happened intermittently initially, the problem got worse when I downloaded the recommended nVidia driver patch (Version: 61.77)...now I can't keep the system up long enough to test anything.

That's pretty much it...Oh, I looked in the documentation re: the beeps (to attempt to decipher them) and there's nothing...not in the book, nor on the mainboard CD.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Sounds like either a ram or heat problem. Can you check to see if the cpu fan is spinning.

3. theron

theron Thread Starter

Yes, the ps fan is spinning.

theron :)

4. ~Candy~

Do you have time to access the bios setup to check for cpu temp? Should be under PCHealth.

5. theron

theron Thread Starter

I don't have the time right now, but can later on today. The thing is that when I turn it on, I get no display, so it might be a little sketchy getting into the bios.

Hey, thanks for your response....I've never had a problem like this before and it's baffling the heck outta me.

theron

6. theron

theron Thread Starter

Oh cripes...you had asked about the cpu fan....sorry 'bout that. Yes, the CPU fan is spinning.

:eek:

7. ~Candy~

If the system has onboard video, you might try using that instead of the add in card.

8. theron

theron Thread Starter

No, no onboard video on this system. Hmmm....sometimes if I leave it alone for a bit, then turn it on again, it'll come up but not for very long. Lemme do that.

Thanks!

theron

9. ~Candy~

Fan on video card?

10. theron

theron Thread Starter

gfx card fan spinning too...

theron

11. theron

theron Thread Starter

I have to get going right now...but I'll be back later...lemme know if you come up with anything else. In the meantime, I'll order some memory from Crucial...was gonna put a gig in there anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help!

theron :D

12. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

No time to check if the PC's overheating.. Got to go buy more ram to put in the oven.. :)

13. ~Candy~

Maybe he'll just ship you or I the extra ram instead? :D

14. theron

theron Thread Starter

hehe...that'd be nice...meanwhile, I have to wait 2 business daze for my ram *snif*.

theron :(

15. theron

theron Thread Starter

Okies, so I finally got my memory (Crucial Tech)...loaded it in, and I am still having the same problem. Does anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks in advance.

theron

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/277572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice