1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

frozen cursor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jluke, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jluke

jluke Thread Starter

About every fifth time my computer comes on, the cursor will be frozen in the upper right corner of the screen. the only way I can get it to work again is to turn the computer off and reboot. the cursor plugs into a port, not a usb, I'm running Vista on a compaq Presario computer. I can jump around the icons on the Windows screen, but can't get anywhere without the mouse. Is this a prelude to something worse?

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

It's quite possible that the mouse cable could be going bad. Do you still have control with the keyboard when the mouse pointer freezes?

3. jluke

jluke Thread Starter

thanks for the response. Yes, the keyboard works. the mouse wire is a possibility, the mouse is an optical mouse and replacing it is a cheap fix. I'll try that first. I notice that when the computer is coming up and windows is loading, the little windows circle thingy that swirls (hope you know what I'm talking about) will go on an off at least two or more times. If it doesn't do on and off at least two times I know that the cursor is not going to work. I've left the computor on for an hour to see if it would works later, but no dice. Like something doesn't load.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice