1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frozen Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by WAM1, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WAM1

WAM1 Thread Starter

I have a 6 month old hp laptop on Vista Home Premium. Don't remember having problems until I purchased Panda security. After that Internet Explorer would frequently stop or slow way down. Would refuse to close with the "X". Had to Cont-Alt-Del for Task Manager to get it to close. It once totally crashed and on restarting Windows "checked for the problem" and said it was the antivirus software.

Staples worked on it...couldn't fix it. They took back Panda and gave me Windows Live One Care in exchange. Works better during internet use, but still often refuses to close normally. Where should I go from here?

Thanx -- Bill

2. WAM1

WAM1 Thread Starter

bump

3. whitefly

whitefly

If you purchased the whole package (Laptop plus software) from Staples, then you are entitled to have a computer that's "fit for its purposes", this is true of any goods, but you should complain within a 'resonable' time. Of course it depends on what's considered reasonable. Anyway, staples have already tried and failed to fully resolve the problem, and they could argue that it is the software that you installed that caused the problem.
    Just to clarify, are you saying Internet explorer is sometimes refusing to shut down or are you saying shutting down your laptop is problematical? I would remove any anti-virus software, to establish if this is indeed the root cause, and if necessary do a system restore to a point well before all this trouble started(providing you have restore points on your computer) just to see if that's the cause, you can always go back to where you are, as a restore point is created before the restore if you see what I mean?
    I guess anyhow that you have the setup disc/DVD for the software. So you could re-install.
    I have never heard of this new anti-virus it's not an established one (I've heard of Panda though). Microsoft are not recognised for this. Do you relalise that vista comes by default with windows defender on.
    This if supposed to reduce the risk of malware. I know that both anti-virus and defender are recommended by Microsoft but thay may be clashing in some way? (unlikely since both from Microsoft). If Internet explorer is having problems shutting down, try turning off/disabling any addons, do this from within I.E. i.e. tools...Manage add ons. Also does it shut down if not connected to a network? Lastly have you picked up malware? Do a scan with defender if not sure.

4. WAM1

WAM1 Thread Starter

Yes, explorer freezes and at that point refuses to shut down. Back when I was on Panda, I also had refusal of the laptop to shut down but that seems to have gone away with the new antivirus. Note that both of these are/were occasional, not constant problems.

The new antivirus, Windows Live One Care is a Microsoft product. Staples recommended it because Vista, Explorer and the antivirus are now all Microsoft products therefore likely compatible. Seemed logical to me. I did turn Windows Defender back on, because the WLOC booklet didn't say anything about disabling it. Same with Windows firewall. I could certainly try disabling either of those if someone has knowledge of them causing Explorer freezes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice