1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

frozen laptop

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by CanadianFury, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianFury

CanadianFury Thread Starter

So I'm new here and don't really know tons about computers. I have a HP laptop with windows Vista that recently started freezing when I was running Norton 360 virus scans. It kept freezing around the windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository folders. The Norton techs updated my 360 to v.2.0 but that didn't change anything. I had been downloading songs from Limewire (supposedly a stupid move) and btjunkie. My virus scans came up with no viruses. I came to this website to find some advice and read the sticky about the HJT program and downloaded it to get the log for my post. My computer froze and when I rebooted, it loads to normal mode, but I can't click on any icons and eventually my cursor turns into the loading circle and it freezes because the clock stops counting time. I've tried opening on safe mode and safe mode with networking but those load and freeze as well. So I don't really know what to do because I have a whole mess of files on there that I don't want to lose. Is there anyway I can get it to load long enough to save my files on an external hard drive before having to start anew? Obviously I don't have the HJT log so I'm not sure what other info I could give you. I'm sorry if this is not posted in the right forum, I just figured it was most related to this topic. Also, I'm a Canadian living in South Korea so I'm not 100% sure about being able to see HP techs here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice