1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frozen on boot screen!! hard disk problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rockygupta, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockygupta

Rockygupta Thread Starter

I have a western digital 160 gb sata hard disk. Few days ago one of my drives gone bad and there was a error showing a msg about I can't access the drive. I had to format it. I recovered my drive but lost the data. After a few days another drive gone bad same way. Suddenly one I started my pc and the bios screen showed up but it stuck on the boot screen. Since then it's not starting. Another thing I noticed is the hard disk is getting very hot very quickly. I don't know what happened to the Harddisk. A friend of mine tried low level format but was unsuccessful. I can't past the boot screen in any way. It stuck with the black dos screen. No msg nothing. I have checked everything is ok in my pc. This is the second time I lost my hard disk. Can anybdy tell me what has happnd or what is cause? Is there anything I'm doing wrong or wrong with my room. Pls if there is any tips on how I can protect my hard disk so that I will not lost one in future tell me? I'm really fustrated with it. (Also can anyone tell me how to perform a low level format? )

2. ETech7

ETech7

Hard drives DO fail, that's why you should always backup critical data. Keep the temps low, manage fragmentation, more it is used - more it wears down.

Low level formatting won't physically repair your drive, that is more of a security measure, overrated though.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The drive only went bad once, you simply continued to use incorrectly thinking that a format of any kind fixes faulty drives; it doesn't. Toss the drive and buy a new one.

There's a 100% effective way to protect your data; keep multiple backups that are checked/verified every once in a while.

4. Rockygupta

Rockygupta Thread Starter

I'm not talking about protecting the data. I'm talking about protecting the hard disk. And is there a way to keep the temp low of my hard disk ?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sure, you can add fans to keep the drives cooler. But drives fail not just of heat, they wear out and fail.

6. ETech7

ETech7

As mentioned, drives WILL fail, just a matter of time. So you should be thinking about protectiong your data, that's what make storage valuable - data it holds.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice