1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frozen Video Calls in Skype

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kevinwong100, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevinwong100

kevinwong100 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I been using Skype for a long time now, but have only recently started using the video call feature. I find it quite useful. The problem is that the video freezes after a minute or two when I make video calls. I then have to restart to unfreeze it. I can be a hassle. The video freezes on both sides of the video call. One minute my video would freeze then the other side freezes as well. The audio is fine. There is nothing wrong with my webcam.

I have a Microsoft Lifecam VX 1000. Windows XP Professional. Service Pack 3.
    I have version 4.1.0.141 of Skype

How can I make video calls that don't freeze?

Thanks in advance.:D

2. bmorehappy

bmorehappy

My experience has been that if I have too many extra's turned on the camera, it might freeze. I have a Logitech cam, and it has a feature called Low-light boost that sometimes has given me problems. (also accessed through Skype at Tools>Options>Video Settings. Then click on the button that says Webcam settings>Advanced Tab).

Other possibilities:
    *Double check your camera driver for the latest version.
    *Bad internet connection (double check firewalls, anti-virus etc.)
    *Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX
    *Make sure the camera application software is running at the same time as Skype.

Good luck, hope this helps.

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Kevin Looks like you are still having trouble . While researching the problem I came across this .

http://www.iposgoode.ca/2009/02/the-role-of-competition-in-maintaining-net-neutrality/

While this is written in Canada things are apparently happening and caused by Internet Service Providers world wide .
    My daughter lives in another city and uses a different ISP than I do . My brother lives about 1600 km west of me and has a different ISP . My brother and I have video chats and usually are clear and do not freeze up . My daughter and I however have continuous freezing of video and no audio . My son-in law who is in the hi tech industry has said the probable cause is the ISP truncating the available band width . There probably is nothing wrong with the Skype or Living Messenger program . If it works for a while then freezes or you lose audio or have extreme background noise and no other changes have been made to your computer then I would suspect your ISP .
    Anyone else researched this problem ?

The above problem applies wether using Live messenger or Skype for me .

4. kevinwong100

kevinwong100 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. But the problem is still not fixed. I don't think it is the ISP because it the video freezes on both sides.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869736