1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frozen

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Aprilg, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

I am not entirely sure if this is a software or a hardware problem, so here goes.

I previously had a problem with my computer freezing. When I say freezing I don't mean it held up or slowed, I mean it stopped. Like it said "hey I am tired" and just STOPPED. I would have reset or cut the power and reboot. I tried formatting and reinstalling windows as the computer was two years old and had never been formatted. That didn't work and it finally got to a point where it wouldn't boot up at all. I would get to the windows screen with the blue bar across the bottom hear a click and it would reboot. I had tried reinstalling windows.

We first thought it was the power supply, replaced it. The problem persisted so my sister thought it was the hard drive as did my BF, I thought it was the motherboard. Majority rules and I bought a new hard drive. Hey guess what, I was right, the problem persited and so I replaced the motherboard and the processor.

Everything was working fine for 2 weeks until it started freezing again on the weekend. I barely have anything on it. I have run virus scanners and malware/spyware scanners. I have run pcpitstop.

I am at a loss. I can't imagine it is any of the hardware as I have replaced the powersupply, motherboard, processors hard drive (the old hard drive is working fine and is running as the slave right now), I bought new ram so I now have two sticks of 512. I am running windows XP, I have McAfee, I have a firewall (sygate), spybot search and destroy and I was running spyware doctor.

I can get online and run Firefox but as soon as I open anything that uses Internet Explorer (including MSN messenger which is just KILLING my children) it freezes before the page finishes loading.

Please someone, give me some ideas before I turn it into a very expensive door stop.

Thank you.

2. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

3. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

First of all, I would have to be able to open IE in order to do that. I have formatted and reinstalled, the cache would be clean.

4. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

I took you to mean you could open IE but not load any URLS.

Much of the behaviour you describe sounds like a hardware problem though I don't recall a hardware problem that only affected one program.
    Considering all your replacements, it seems only the MB is left unchanged

Did you already try starting with the least hardware and adding devices one at a time?

And does the failure persist in safe mode?

5. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

As mentioned in my first post, the motherboard has been replaced. I don't know how I can start with any less hardware than the mb, processor, hd and ram.

No, the failure doesn't happen in safe mode.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    When you reinstalled, did you completely format and install Windows from scratch or did you just install overtop? And was the reinstall done after all the parts were changed out? If not then its worth doing it over.

7. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

I did a low level format to ensure everything was wiped out.

I have reinstalled windows and it seems to work fine as long as I don't install SP2. As soon as I do that I am back in frozen land.

This is so unbelievably frustrating.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    List the hardware in your computer; motherboard, cpu, etc.

Maybe test the RAM too, new doesn't mean good or compatible: http://www.memtest.org/

9. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

MB - ASROCK 775/VM800
    CPU - Inteal p4 506 (2.66)
    HD - Western Digital 80 gig
    RAM - Kingston 512 DDR PC3200
    VC - Radeon 9250 (this was not replaced)

Ram has already been tested.

10. Freddieg37

Freddieg37

Try uninstalling McAfee, I was having the same problems you describe, and it was the a/v and fw. Not a problem since.

11. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

Thanks, but I already tried installing all updates before installing any a/v or spyware software, the problem still persists.

12. Freddieg37

Freddieg37

My understanding is a lot of people having problems with McAfee, especially ones using comcast for internet service. Just trying to help

13. daddyhominum

daddyhominum

Suggests a driver problem.Note that in safemode your video card uses the windows driver, (vga save?) not the ATI driver.

I would suggest a complete clean out of the ATI drivers using Drivercleaner, then delete the card in device manager, then reboot to the vga driver, twice. Then reinstall the 9250 drivers. On this computer with an OEM ATI 9250, I use the 6.14.10.6476 drivers from 2004 and they have been very stable on this mb.

14. iaavagent

iaavagent

Aprilg,
    Did you ever find out what your problem was and fix it? Curious
    Thanks

15. Aprilg

Aprilg Thread Starter

Nope.

As long as I don't install SP2 it seems to work just fine.

I think I may have had the RAM in the wrong slot when I went down to just one stick, a stupid newbie mistake, but I haven't yet tried reinstalling SP2. I probably will next week when I am on vacation - I am not sure I want to deal with the hassle of formatting and reinstalling everything if it doesn't work.

It is an odd problem. I have asked all the techies at work, all the techies I know and posted on several boards. Everyone is stumped. My bf is going to see a friend who does computer repairs and support for a living, I will be sending the hunk o' junk with him but I am not entirely hopeful for a resolution.

I think it would make a lovely burrow for my bunnies!!!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/481470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice