1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FRUSTRATED COMPUTER USER! windows xp professional

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nikisingz, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nikisingz

nikisingz Thread Starter

I had windows xp professional downloaded into my computer. It lets me access internet and do other basic functions, but I cannot download anything becaused it says I do not have "administrative access". I am the only person with an account on the computer. I checked for answers online and it says I need to reboot the computer. I do not have the disk. I tried to download the xp "fix it" program online, but I cannot download it because I do not have administrative acess! See my dilemma? I hope someone has a FREE quick fix and can help me put my frustration to an end! Thanks!

2. valis

valis Moderator

where'd you get the copy of xp?

3. nikisingz

nikisingz Thread Starter

a computer friend of mine downloaded it for me onto my laptop

4. valis

valis Moderator

downloaded from where? Reason I ask is that you may have to call MS, and without the product key, you may have some difficulty.

5. nikisingz

nikisingz Thread Starter

Not sure actually...he just said, "here, gimme your laptop and I'll put windows xp on it for you". I'm a MORON when it comes to computer tech stuff....so that's all I know unfortuantely. I don't have a disk or number or anything like that. That's why I'm so frustrated! I appreciate you for trying to help me solve this problem:eek:

6. valis

valis Moderator

click here and follow the instructions to see if your windows copy is genuine.

7. nikisingz

nikisingz Thread Starter

thanks for the link..I tried it, but it wouldn't go through because it says I don't have "administrative access!" Any other suggestions? Thanks again for your help! :)

8. valis

valis Moderator

well, if you don't have admin access, not a lot you can do. Call your friend and see if they put in a secondary account with admin rights.

9. janesman2006

janesman2006

Have you tried going in to User Accounts and setting up a new user with administrative rights, if you can't do that sounds like a pirated copy of XP.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!