1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Frustrating Windows Explorer problem....

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Monstrous Mi, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi Thread Starter

Here is the scenario. Computer is Celeron 1.1G with 256M of RAM, 80G hard drive with 45G free space.

I have Windows 98SE and have rebooted. I open up Windows Explorer. Now I am doing lots of file copying and transferring, mostly digital camera pictures and mp3 files.

I have thousands of these files. If I take a block of say 10 meg of digital camera pictures (about 20 pictures) and transfer them to a new folder, it takes 30-40 seconds. If I do this again with same amount of data, it takes 60 seconds. The more I do this, the slower it takes with same amount of data (i.e. one minute then two minutes). When I try to look into the new folders, it takes 30-60 seconds to display the contents with the hard drive whirring away all the time.

Now, if I reboot Windows, I can transfer quickly again but over a few transfers, it slows to a crawl again.

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening? Maybe some registry setting? Or is this simply because I have thousands of files.

2. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Windows does some stupid things when transfering files like caching them then rewriting them. If you dont have to move the files nothing is wrong. One thing you could try before transferring alot of files is defraging the sytem. Hope this helps.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Disabling the recycle bin can help. Like was said before, windows does some stupid things with the file caches.

4. Krall

Krall

As you open programs and files in windows your computer moves information between the physical and virtual memory on your computer it sounds like you have enough physical memory but you may want to look into your virtual memory(page file) settings.
    Here you have the option of Letting windows manage your settings or you can set your own custom settings. Right click on my computer and then click properties. On the window that comes up, there should be a performance tab, click it. Then click the "Virtual Memory" button. In the new window that opens you will see the option to let windows manage it (probably already selected) and the custom settings. Click custom and in the minimum feild type something like 300 and for max it is up to you. Click ok. You will want to restart after this

5. Monstrous Mi

Thanks for the replies thus far.

My main concern is that the time I take to transfer the same amount of data increases each time I take such action. It gets to the point where it is painfully slow.

If I reboot, transferring is once again fairly quick but then degrades.

It is this degradation that I am concerned about. I am suspecting some sort of caching problem but my virtual memory may also be a part of it.

As well, I have a secondary drive that is not functioning correctly. I will disconnect it and see if that could be it but for what reason, I do not know.

I have a laptop with XP and I can transfer files all day long and the same transfer speed is maintained.

6. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

Why do you want to move files around and clock the transfer speeds?

7. Monstrous Mi

I'm one of those computer geeks who has to know every single little problem.

Like I said my laptop doesn't exhibit this tendency and neither do any computers at work. It may be because I have over a hundred thousand files.

I think I am going to start over again with Win2K Professional and partition my 80G hard drive so my data will have its own partition.

I've been looking for an excuse to ditch Windows 98 and this may be it although I don't look forward to gathering all the new drivers and installing all the software I have again.

Oh well.

8. AKA Arizona

AKA Arizona

We have a sayin' here in the south "Ifin it ain't broke, don't fix it". But if you must geek it out remember that all those files on a seperate partition may slow you down even more. "Look up in the sky its a bird, no its a plane, no its Geek man" hehe i could not resist, resistance was futile........ lots of luck you'll need it.

9. pgriffet

pgriffet

Do you have IE6 ?
    Take a look here :

http://forum.mvps.org/viewtopic.php?t=2580

from MS Newsgroups :
    Actually, remove or move and copy files is the same problem.

I NEVER use Explorer, I use Total Commander as file manager.
    You can also use Winfile.
    Both programs do not have such problems.
    Explorer LIES on folder contents, just search for index.dat and desktop.ini files with the 3 tools, it's amazing.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice