1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FSB compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NYCaribou, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCaribou

NYCaribou Thread Starter

I've been looking to get an ASUS P5LD-2 Motherboard that has a lot of nice features. I shopped around for CPU's of the Intel Core 2 Duo type and the best one I found for the price was an Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6750 2.66GHz.

There's one thing though that I want to find out if this will be a problem or not. The motherboard in question has a FSB of 1066/800 mhz, while the CPU is a 1333 mhz FSB

Will this make the CPU and motherboard incompatible?

Thanks,

NYC

2. Jones

Jones

Typically, no. It just means the CPU will only function as fast as the motherboard will let it. This will reduce the processing speed of the processor, but it will still function in the board. Same thing goes with motherboards. You can stick a slower FSB processor in a motherboard, and the board will auto detect the speed, and run at that speed.

Generally speaking though, you should always try to match the FSB speeds to make sure that you're getting the performance that's been designed by the MFG.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes in this case it will be incompatible. The 6750 has to have a 1333 FSB or it will not run.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice