1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FTP App Help Needed

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raeba, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raeba

raeba Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I have access to both WSFTP Pro and CuteFTP Pro...and I need some help understanding something...

I want to be able to transfer my files from my XP PC to an *.nix FTP site/server securely - so that the file transfers cannot be seen (read) or messed with...

So, how can I do this? Do I need to have (buy) a SSL certificate to be able to do this or what?

Do you know how it is done with one of these apps or something else?

Also, what program do you use for FTP and why do you like it?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Raeba

2. raeba

raeba Thread Starter

bump

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

WSFTP Pro is as good as they come. There are a great many FTP clients that are all good---FTP is a simple and uniformly implemented protocol.

The advantage of WSFTP Pro is that it supports transfers using PGP, SSL, and SSH/SFTP so you can have whatever level of security that you desire. It's pretty hard these days to come up with some improvements to FTP that would warrant a new release, but Ipswitch's latest is very well done.

Webdav and Webfolders (see Help & Support in the Start Menu) are alternatives that use SSL.

4. raeba

raeba Thread Starter

I'm already sold. My question is: how do I do secure transfers.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice