1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FTP between 2 computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by szidane, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. szidane

szidane Thread Starter

Hi,

I am new to networking. I have 2 PCs and a DSL internet connection. Recently i bought a Belkin router and now both my computers are simultaneously able to access the internet. I would now like to transfer files from one PC to another. Can someone tell me how i can do this

thanx

2. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

First you should have shared folders on each computer. Then you need to go to Windows Explorer, click on the Tools menu, and click Map Network Drive. Then you can either type in the name of the folder via the format \\servername\sharename, or you can just click browse and search for the shared folder. You can also search through My Network Places to locate the shared folders as well. If you have not already done so, you must also be sure that both your computers have unique names, and the same workgroup name.

3. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

A N D ? that little box that says file and printer sharing in the network configuration.

4. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

Sorry Vapor, i wasnt thinking in terms of Win 98 or Win ME

5. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

Sorry bout what? Now I'm really confused. Maybe I'll get it about 2pm tomorrow afternoon.

I guess most people set up the file sharing for XP at install time. If you didn't you'll need that checked in the network connection properties also.
    [x] File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

6. madbeatchemi

madbeatchemi

yeah thats what i meant Vapor. I was thinking you meant the way in Win 98 and ME how you must press the "file and print sharing button" in order to make Shared Folders an option.

7. VaporTrace

VaporTrace

I am tempted to send this to Bill.

LEAVE THE CRUDDY MENUS ALONE.

To tell you the truth I went and made sure it was in with the protocol stuff there. Strange how you do domething enough times, you see something and just click it not acutally realizing you actually did the click 'cause something never clicked the first time. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice