1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FTP ing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by geordief, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geordief

geordief Thread Starter

I need to FTP my site to download my logs.As they are in a subfolder a few levels down (statistics/logs/access_log) can I create a shortcut?Do I need a special FTP program ?Or can I just type an address in the browser that begins with ftp?

2. BillC

BillC

If you have the correct permissions, and I assume you do, you should be able to navigate to the files, right click, and the chose 'save as'. If you'd like a nice free FTP client, you can find WS_FTPLE here.

3. geordief

geordief Thread Starter

thanks
    I think I do that all the time.I was hoping to be able to bypass the navigation and go direct to the file I want as that would save time on my dialup connection.

4. BillC

BillC

You can create a shortcut to the file but you'll likely need to logon to have access if it is protected. If it is not protected, a shortcut should take you right to it.

5. geordief

geordief Thread Starter

thanks
    how would I create the shotcut.Do I need to know the ftp address of the particular folder?
    When I type in an address that looks like it should work I get a *The page cannot be found* message
    Coiuld it be that my hosting company will not allow me to access the file unless I use a FTP program?
    If I type in www.mysite dot com/webstat I am asked for my password so this folder seems to work fine but typing www.mysite dot com/logs/access_log or www.mysite dot com/logs/ gives a 404 error.
    In my FTP program (FTP COMMANDER) there is no mention of shortcuts.Maybe because it is too basic(?)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice