1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ftp not working ie6 (windows xp)

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cathybee1, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathybee1

cathybee1 Thread Starter

I just got a new computer with Windows XP and IE6 installed.

I can't download from any ftp sites. Either IE locks up or I get an error message saying the page can't be displayed. HTTP downloads work just fine. I tried to install IE 6 SP 1 and was told by the computer I couldn't do it because I had a newer version of IE6 than the service pack.

XP won't let me repair Internet Explorer (or even really uninstall it.) I tried "uninstalling" and "reinstalling."

I called tech support for Dell and they said it's a bug and to download a third party FTP program!

This is too weird -- I really don't want to have to buy another program to download stuff. I mean, what's a browser for? I could get Netscape I suppose. Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Del

Del

In Win XP, the equivalent to IE Repair is Start > Run and type in "sfc /scannow" then click ok.
    It's supposed to check all files and replace any of the corrupt or missing ones, so you may need your Win XP c.d.
    Don't seem like it will fix this problem however.

I just tried Win XP and could download via FTP in IE.
    Unless it's a glitch in the Dell computer, don't know why your's would not.

What site are you trying to D/L from??

3. cathybee1

cathybee1 Thread Starter

I fixed it. It turned out to be a setting in my Network properties that was the problem. It was the "firewall" setting in the advanced tab. I didn't know there was one, just upgraded from Win 98.

Thanks for your help and the advice about the "repair" option. So far, I'm definitely in a learning curve with XP.

CB

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice