1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FTP-server and firewall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jokuvaa1, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jokuvaa1

Jokuvaa1 Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm trying to build a ftp-server which delivers tv-programs from my computer in Finland to the computer I have in Spain. My purpose is to use remote connection to Finland to record programs, and then download them by using ftp-client program.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but computer in Finland needs:

tv-card
    Ftp-server
    static ip

Computer in Spain needs:
    ftp-client

I think the question is, how do I configure my zyxell adsl modem (with NAT and Firewall based on port checking) in ftp-server and my the clients zone-alarm so that not every hacker can get to the ftp-server? Clients modem is bridged.

I obviously can't configure my Spain ip-number to the modem, because it's not static. Can I some other way identify to the modem "who is calling". Modem must also let windows remote control through? I need to also open some port-numbers for ftp-connection...

I think what I need to do is to open port 21(for command) and 20(for data) connection to the modem in Finland? To the clients zone-alarm firewall I need to open port > 1024 from Finlands ip-address? And then I put some password for the ftp-server? right?

If somebody would have some information concerning about this, I would appreciate it :)

Thanks for advance

Juha

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't need a static IP address, you can use a service like DynDNS to find the server.

As far as security, I'd use a decent FTP server and complex user name/password combinations. I like FileZilla, and it's free. There is lots of documentation on setup of the server, check the FAQ on the page listed above.

3. Jokuvaa1

Jokuvaa1 Thread Starter

Ok,

This Dyndns was new, never heard before, thanks :)

I actually planned to use FileZilla.

What about those servers port-numbers 20/21, were those ok? Were there any other possibilities in clients FW than to open all the ports that are bigger than 1024? Isn't that kinda risky, even then when clients firewall is configured to allow connections just from this specified ip?

I'll check the FAQ

Juha

4. O111111O

O111111O

Don't use FTP, use SCP or at least SFTP.

Cygwin includes openssh server for windows. Run that, restrict everything to TCP 22.

File transfers will be tunneled & encrypted inside the SSH payload.

5. JohnWill

Filezilla is an SFTP server.

6. O111111O

O111111O

Yeah, but doesn't it still negotiate port like passive mode FTP? (thought it did, but don't use enough)

7. JohnWill

I would think that it would do the job properly if it claims support for SFTP, right? Do you know that it doesn't work properly?

8. O111111O

O111111O

Ahh, I guess Filezilla does real-live SFTP now. Before it was just ftp over SSH. Data channel was still just like pasv FTP.

Having said that, it loooks like filezilla for windows is SFTP client only.... ? You'll still need OpenSSH for the server side.

9. JohnWill

Maybe I misread, I thought it was also a SFTP server. You're right if that's the case.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice