1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ftp server w/router and dsl modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by w1zard99, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. w1zard99

w1zard99 Thread Starter

I have been trying to get my ftp server to work and cant. I have a dsl modem the plugs into my dsl router and then 2 computers.
    I had it working once on a linksys router but could not send files in msn messenger so i changed to a netgear router. and now cant get my sever to work. I have set the ports and everything else with no luck. Im running windows xp pro on a amd 1.4 cpu 1 gig of ddr. 3 hdds............

HELP HELP

2. Rockn

Rockn

Can you serve if the router isn't in the configuration? Try taking it out and see if users can connect. It probably has something to do with your routers NAT and if the server is behind it no one on the outside will be able to hit your servers IP address unless you add it to the routing table on your router. When I used to run an FTP server I used the ethernet address of my DSL modem and everyone could connect

3. angel

angel

When you say you set the ports, exactly what did you do?
    On the netgear router that I have, you have to change 2 settings: remove the filter that is set to drop on 21 (there by default) and then setup a forward to the correct internal IP.

4. w1zard99

w1zard99 Thread Starter

If i dont go through the router it works fine. I put 2 cards in 1 computer and I'm gonna try to do thing without the router. Hey if it work I can return the routers I have and get my 200.00 back :)

5. w1zard99

w1zard99 Thread Starter

thanks for your help. I got it working back to my linksys.

6. angel

angel

Thanks for letting us know. The Netgear should allow you to configure the port though. I have a Netgear also but I think Linksys is definitely more user friendly.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice