ftp server w/router and dsl modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

w1zard99

I have been trying to get my ftp server to work and cant. I have a dsl modem the plugs into my dsl router and then 2 computers.
I had it working once on a linksys router but could not send files in msn messenger so i changed to a netgear router. and now cant get my sever to work. I have set the ports and everything else with no luck. Im running windows xp pro on a amd 1.4 cpu 1 gig of ddr. 3 hdds............

HELP HELP

Can you serve if the router isn't in the configuration? Try taking it out and see if users can connect. It probably has something to do with your routers NAT and if the server is behind it no one on the outside will be able to hit your servers IP address unless you add it to the routing table on your router. When I used to run an FTP server I used the ethernet address of my DSL modem and everyone could connect

When you say you set the ports, exactly what did you do?
On the netgear router that I have, you have to change 2 settings: remove the filter that is set to drop on 21 (there by default) and then setup a forward to the correct internal IP.

w1zard99

If i dont go through the router it works fine. I put 2 cards in 1 computer and I'm gonna try to do thing without the router. Hey if it work I can return the routers I have and get my 200.00 back :)

Thanks for letting us know. The Netgear should allow you to configure the port though. I have a Netgear also but I think Linksys is definitely more user friendly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online