1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

FTP setup with Netgear Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scooby43, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

Hi I am trying to set up a ftp using my netgear router. I have tried setting up my port forwarding rules. But everything I have tried, I can't get it to work anyone had any experiences you can share cheers

2. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

DG834G is the model

3. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

if u need anymore info let me know

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You just need to forward port 21 to the IP address in question on your network.

5. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

would I need to create a custom service or just in the inbound firewall rule there is ftp 21 already there in the list but it wouldnt work.

keeps giving me this

WinSock 2.0
    Connecting to pt941.sytes.net
    Connection failed (Connection refused)
    Delaying for 60 seconds before reconnect attempt #1

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you sure your FTP server is setup correctly? Connection refused would seem to indicate the machine you're trying to connect to is visible but doesn't want to talk to you. That's what I get when I FTP to a machine with no server running. However, if I FTP to a non-existant address, I get "Unknown host" as a response.

7. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

I think so I am using bullet ftp I have tried setting up the passive mode option to dynamic makes no difference. I read on my router, I dont need to make a custom service unless the rule didnt appear in the services command. All I have set up is the lan ip which tells the router to keep my comp network addres the same and the default rule I created in the inbound firewall.

8. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

it works now as I had someone test it for me only thing is I cant test it my self.

9. tsunam

tsunam

Generally, that is because when you go to test it...you are the same ip address as the server...servers don't like that. In otherwords you were going out into the net...and coming back in..and the server saw that you had the same address and denied that. That's generally why you cant ^.^. If you'd typed 192.168.1.102 instead you could have though :)

10. scooby43

scooby43 Thread Starter

I got it working on port 21 thanks to you both for your help. I did try to make my own port put when others connect it times out.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice