1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved FTP Site not accessible via Work PC Only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Adecypher, Oct 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Hello Guys,

I am facing a very strange issue. I am not able to connect to the FTP Site using work PC but able to connect to it using my home PC. I have taken the following steps to resolve the issue:

1. Reboot the COMCAST Business Gateway (from SMC Networks)
    2. Verified that no firewall is enabled to block the access
    3. Contact COMCAST to verify if their equipment configured correctly, and COMCAST verified that it is configured correctly
    4. Contact the FTP Site Hosting Company, they responded that since you are able to access out FTP Site using your home PC so therefore there seems to be no issue
    5. Also verified that the our WAN Internet IP Address is NOT on any Blacklist.

This is a very strange issue and need guidance.

Thanks

2. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi,
    Most big companies don't allow direct FTP access without approval , as this is protect them from Virus coming in and data leakage going out. You need to speak to your IT department to ensure that you are allowed to do, as you may be breaking a company policy, then should be able to give you some guidance what to do, you may have to go a predefined proxy or get your desktop on a whitelist.

3. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Hello,

We are small company we do not have a formal "IT Department", myself and one other employee deals with day to day troubleshooting. We do not have much to manage our website, email server and FTP site is hosted by a web hosting company and usually they deal with issues diligently but this time they are taking way too long to give us feed back on what is the real issue. In the interim I am trying to understand what can cause such a peculiar condition of not able to access FTP via our Office network vs. outside networks after going through the troubleshooting steps I mentioned in my first post above.

Regards

4. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Ok, if their are no politics in the way, then you need to understand how FTP works.

You should be able to get to a command prompt and type ftp ftp.xyz.com (change to the ftp site that you are using) and this should connect and then you should be able to logon.

But if it is this issue that I think it is, if you try and a issue a dir command it will hang, this is because that the remote server is trying to connect back to your desktop and create a data session. see link for a better explanation (http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html)

Now using your FTP application (eg Filezilla) you need to create a session and set the connection as passive which means that your PC will connect to the server both for Data and command session (https://www.pipeten.com/support/ssh-vpn-ftp/filezilla-active-and-passive-settings/)

Personally I would see if you can connect over SFTP and it is simpler to connect but needs a SFTP server and not a FTP server and it is more secure.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  5. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Thanks

Will try your suggestions tomorrow at work and let you know how it went.

6. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Hi

I tried to connect to the ftp site using command prompt and got the message: "connection closed by the remote host"

Also, if I am able to access other public FTP sites but just not ONLY my company's FTP site, can I assume that ONLY my compnay FTP site is some how blocked by ISP (COMCAST)...is there any way to prove my assumption.

Thanks

7. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    If it is just your FTP site that is having the is issue, and your are getting a "connection closed by the remote host" message it is more that likely that the FTP Server is causing the issue. As if it was the ISP blocking you would get a "connecting refused" message. At what stage do you get the message.

eg:

C:>ftp test.rebex.net
    Connected to test.rebex.net.
    220 Microsoft FTP Service
    200 OPTS UTF8 command successful - UTF8 encoding now ON.
    User (test.rebex.net (none)): demo
    331 Password required for demo.
    Password:
    230 User logged in.
    ftp>

Also check that you are hitting the same sever internally and externally, also is the the FTP site hosted internally or externally.

One other thought, if the ftp server is internal, try and using the internal IP address and not the DNS name, as it could be that the routing could be getting confused.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  8. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Below is what I am getting in command prompt:

C:\Windows\system32>ftp ourftpsite.com
    Connected to kciconsultants.com.
    Connection closed by remote host.

When I contacted the FTP Hosting company they said that the issue is on your ISP or your internal network end since you (from your home PC) and we can access the FTP site.

The FTP site is hosted externally...how can I pinpoint where the fault is...is there any methodical steps I can take to some proof of where the fault lies?

9. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Can you ping the FTP server and can you connect using the IP address, as I think you are not hitting the same device.

Can you try and put ftp in first of the name eg ftp.xyz.com, as you are hitting the domain name and may be confusing thing.

Can you try and connect using SFTP, using Filezilla,

10. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

Ping results using ftp.ourftpsite.com

C:\Windows\system32>ping ftp.ourftpsite.com

Pinging ourftpsite.com [XXX.XXX.192.101] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for XXX.XXX.192.101:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 51ms, Maximum = 64ms, Average = 56ms

Ping results using IP only XXX.XXX.192.101

C:\Windows\system32>ping xxx.xxx.192.101

Pinging xxx.xxx.192.101 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=53ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=57ms TTL=241
    Reply from xxx.xxx.192.101: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for xxx.xxx.192.101:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 53ms, Maximum = 57ms, Average = 54ms

So no packet loss.

I tried SFTP port 22 using WinSCP (FTP Client) and get the following messages:
    >Searching for host...
    >Connecting to host...
    > Network Error: Software cause connection to abort

The same above error in FileZilla for SFTP and for FTP FileZilla gives me: Could not connect to the server.

Just to be sure I used port 22 for SFTP and port 22 for FTP which I are defaults ports for these protocols.

The strange thing is I am able to connect from my home PC which I just verified by remotely connecting to Home PC and then connecting to the FTP site....

11. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi, This starting to point to a Firewall issue, the next part it figure out where.

As you stated that it is only our company FTP server that is causing the issue. Can you get a laptop and plug it into the Comcast device, can you access the logs from the comcast device

12. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

When I say our company FTP server actually I mean the FTP server hosted by a hosting company externally.

So you want me to connect a laptop to the COMCAST SMC Business Gateway Modem in a available CAT 5 slot (for LAN I believe) but I do not know how to get to the logs I do have login credentials for the MODEM but after logging in I was not able to find how to get to the logs.

13. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Yes, the FTP server is the one hosted by the hosting company.

If you connect into the modem device using one of the 4 available ports (1 should already be used) and hopefully you should get out to the internet and try using the command prompt to ftp to the server. This should ensure that the only device that is getting in the way is the modem. Try and use a different device.

If it is does still have issue, I would see if you can speak to Comcast tech support, as they should be able to tell you how to get into the web console of the device to view the logs.. You need to tell them that you have ruled out everything else.

You need to do this out of hours or ensure at least that your manager agrees that you can do. You don't want to disconnect your office network by accident...

14. Adecypher

Adecypher Thread Starter

The issue got resolved our IP Address was blocked due to being placed in a blacklist and after updating to a new IP I was able to log in to the FTP Server.

Big THANKS for providing me suggestions and guidance.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice