Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fujifilm cd-r 80min 700mb

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  AbvAvgUser 
#1 ·
iam trying to put some files from the c drive on the cd but i get nothing, i receive a message e/is not accessible what is going wrong.do i have the wrong type of cd thank you for any help

#2 ·
You might start with the Operating system, the software you're using to write the CD, etc. It sounds like you think that you can drag-n-drop to a CD-R, which doesn't work.

#3 ·
thanks johnwill,i guess iam barking up the wrong tree , what i am looking to do is the same that i do with a floppy copy pictures that i have in c drive and other material from other programs like excel word i hope you can sent me in the right direction.thank again

#4 ·
If you want to drag & drop files directly to a CD the CD must be formatted first. In Easy CD Creator you accomplish this using Direct CD. In Nero it is INCD.

#5 ·
Originally posted by flrman1:
If you want to drag & drop files directly to a CD the CD must be formatted first. In Easy CD Creator you accomplish this using Direct CD. In Nero it is INCD.
He's attempting to use CD-R media, which is write-once media! Formatting would be your one write. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
johnwill said ...
He's attempting to use CD-R media, which is write-once media! Formatting would be your one write.
I think I agree with johnwill. You can't format the CD-R media, you have to just write on them with the help of a burner software like Nero, EasyCDCreator, etc. CD-R will not work in the same way as a floppy. You can't just use cut-copy-paste with them (as yet :rolleyes: ).

#7 ·
Originally posted by richsamtor1:
iam trying to put some files from the c drive on the cd but i get nothing, i receive a message e/is not accessible what is going wrong.do i have the wrong type of cd thank you for any help
First let me point out that I am not trying to be argumentative here guys. Just want to make sure we understand each other. Not that it seems to matter much to the thread starter as he seems to have disappeared.

I agree with JohnWill that formatting a CD with Direct CD is write once in that it is not rewriteable. But I totally disagree with AbvAvgUser.
You can't format the CD-R media
I do it all the time with Direct CD using Easy CD Creator. When I format a CD-R I can leave the CD open if it is not full and continue to write to it until it is full. You can drag and drop or copy and paste to it. I just finished doing both copy and paste and drag and drop to a formatted CD-R that already had files on it.

#11 ·
You're quite welcome.

I guess we were all assuming you had a CD -R/RW drive. You definitely can't do it without one.

Just come back here when you you get one if you need help. This is the best place on the net to get tech support. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here ( they know a lot more than I do) who are ready and willing to share it with you. I personally have learned a great deal here.

#12 ·
flrman1 earlier said ...
I agree with JohnWill that formatting a CD with Direct CD is write once in that it is not rewriteable. But I totally disagree with AbvAvgUser.

quote:You can't format the CD-R media

I do it all the time with Direct CD using Easy CD Creator. When I format a CD-R I can leave the CD open if it is not full and continue to write to it until it is full. You can drag and drop or copy and paste to it. I just finished doing both copy and paste and drag and drop to a formatted CD-R that already had files on it.
Thats not what formatting is buddy. Formatting is what we used to do to floppy disks - go through the entire media, erase it or put it in order for further writing. If we do that to a CD-R, you will not be able to write to it. What you are actually doing is starting a multi-session CD and not close it till it is full. You are not formatting it.

Of course you can format the CD-R media. But what I meant is that if you do, you sacrifice on its capacity to hold data. Then what is its use :rolleyes:

#13 ·
Thats not what formatting is buddy
Adaptec/Roxio calls it formatting. DirectCD is unique in that it can packet write to CDR. Originally there was only CDR and Adaptec had the only software to write to it. The packet writing had to write to CDR. When RW came out they came up with a new system of packet writing but still called it UDF. The garus all thought it should have a different name because it was different, but Adaptec continued with UDF for both.

Of course you can format the CD-R media. But what I meant is that if you do, you sacrifice on its capacity to hold data.
Not so. You can’t format a CDR in the same way you format a RW – the packet writing software won’t do it. It is a completely different type of formatting that takes very little space on the CD – unlike formatting RW. It is much more space efficient than multi-session with mastering software.

The CDR packet writing is a lot like multi-session but you can drag/paste to the drive in Windows Explorer just like you do with RW. To set it up you open DirectCD and format the CDR, which is very quick and doesn’t take much space. Whenever the formatted disc is in the drive DirectCD is active and you can just drag stuff to the drive. You close out writing sessions before you eject the CD or shut down. You can close out the CD in Joliet when you are finished so it can be read in any computer. The sessions only take about 7Mb of housekeeping space rather than 15Mb for multi-session with mastering software. The data is secure once it is closed out. It is actually a very good system and it is surprising more people don’t use it.

By the time everybody else got into packet writing RW was available so they didn’t bother with CDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.