Fujitsu t731 Laptop will not load bios

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JC339

At startup the screen stays black and no bios loads. Fan comes on, On off main switch stays lighted, battery light is on indicating it appears to be charging the removable laptop battery with the charger plugged in. Oddly, the small light just below the display which is the Scroll Lock blinks on and off about every 2 seconds.

Took unit apart to expose the motherboard and removed the cmos battery and it has about 3.1 volts and it's a 3v battery. Reinstalled battery and put back together thinking it might reset the bios, but no change.

Everything I've read online seems to suggest the motherboard is the problem. Maybe the bios chip, or a burned out component. I will take it apart again and look carefully at the motherboard for any possible obvious signs of a burned component on the board.

I might be able to get a used motherboard on ebay (but need to take apart again to find the motherboard number).

If I can get a motherboard with the exact number will it allow the bios to come back on and will the hard drive be able to be used. If I can get it up and running I don't care about buying a new windows license.

Getting to use this computer with the existing hard drive is my goal. If windows loads and says I need to get a new license, that's OK with me.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Can you give us the motherboard brand and model, will try to look up the manual about the scroll lock light blinking to see what that means.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Lunarlander, as the title suggests, it is a Fujitsu laptop ...

It is more than likely a main board issue.

JC339

IMG_2895.jpgIMG_2896.jpg
Can you give us the motherboard brand and model, will try to look up the manual about the scroll lock light blinking to see what that means.
Hello lunarlander:

I pulled the motherboard and am attaching the photos I have for you to look at. Thanks for any ideas you may have. IMG_2895.jpgIMG_2896.jpgIMG_2898.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2901.JPG
Hello lunarlander:

Thanks for looking at this. I removed the motherboard and posted 3 photos, front, back, and the one with the model ID.

JC339

Thanks for your taking an interest in this one. I appreciate it. I mentioned to lunarlander that I pulled the motherboard and have 3 attached photos, one shows the model ID.

JC339

Thanks for your taking an interest in this one. I appreciate it. I mentioned to lunarlander that I pulled the motherboard and have 3 attached photos, one shows the model ID.
Lunarlander: It would be great to find out why that Scroll Lock light is blinking every 2 seconds. Thanks.

JC339

I ordered a used motherboard from Ebay with almost the identical ID number as the original in the photos above. Should receive it in a day or two.

Using your photos I was only able to locate photos of the motherboard and nothing else. What is the model number / serial number of your laptop - they maybe a sticker on the bottom of the case, or it may be a sticker hidden in the battery compartment,

JC339

Lunarlander,

I'm attaching a photo of the bottom of the laptop that I believe has all the information you requested in your post above. Please let me know if this helps.

IMG_2886.JPG

JC339

Hello, I really appreciate all your help. What I did was to mail the laptop to a repair service who can go down to the motherboard level and even replace tiny components if they find they are bad. I think my problem might had something to do with not getting power to the MB or maybe a blown bios chip, etc. Anyway those are just wild guesses and I should hear something from the repair service in a while. I also sent along with the laptop an exact motherboard I found on Ebay to use for donor parts if needed. I think this might help the repair process. I'll update when I hear more.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online