1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

full external hard-drive not recognized by new laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elisa001, Oct 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

Hi all.

I've got an old seagate freeagent external hard-drive. I've installed and uninstalled it now a few times, it get recognized, but I can't get into it. I've tried giving it a letter in disk management, but then I have to format the drive, which obviously means that everything that's on there will be gone... could really really use some help with getting into the drive.

Thnx :)

2. pip22

pip22

Try it on a different PC or laptop if possible as it could be your new laptop that's got a problem, not the drive. It's happenned to me several times. Strangely enough, once a different PC had recognised it, it worked okay on the PC that said it wanted formatting. Go figure?

3. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

I've only got this laptop now though... haven't got the one from before. Could try it on someone else's though. Thanks

(p.s. Just dunno what they're on about, you'd think it'd be simple! %$£$)

4. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

Still doesn't work; tried it on other pc. But still the same thing, wanting to format. Is there anything else I can try?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you have a current backup of the drive on other media?

Have you tried pulling the drive out of the enclosure and connecting it as an internal drive on a desktop system?

6. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

No, I haven't got a back up, a mistake I will obviously never ever make again.

I haven't pulled it out, and the only thing I've got is a laptop. Is it a normal harddrive then, just like the desktop one? I do know how to put them in and/or out of desktops. Just never seen inside an external harddrive. I might be able to buy a desktop, second hand or something like that.

Thanks for your reply. :)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Most older externals have a standard desktop drive inside. Newer ones have different connectors. You will need to open it and see.

Another option is to take it to a shop and have them attempt to recover whatever you want off of the drive.

8. elisa001

elisa001 Thread Starter

Yes, I think that's what I'm going to do, bring it to the shop and hope they can get all my data back! Thanks for all the help though... very good this site.

cheers :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1023757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice